Thread: Dyed Maple Burl Bowl

Dyed Maple Burl Bowl

I met my neighbor the other day, come to find out he got a Jet mini lathe for Christmas and was trying to learn to turn. He came over last weekend with a big maple burl and we did some turning. It was a bit funny in that all he has is mini tools and the burl was 10" in diameter. We cored his blank and he gave me the core. This is what I came up with. Bowl is 6"x3", finished with WOP. Fun bowl experimenting with dyes. Comments and criticism appreciated.
    Black Maple Burl Bowl.jpgBlack Maple Burl Bowl 01.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nice job Nate! I think the dye job looks great.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Hey Nate!! Great job!! I like the dye you applied and the shape fits the piece. Next time you are out PDX way, I've got a blank or two to fill your suitcase.

Mike

for a cored bowl, it has a great shape, like the outside dye job, was it a homemade brew?

Very nice bowl! Really like that dye job!
    Billy

Nice piece. I like that you did the undercut rim, it shows off more of that great burl.

WOW! I really like what the dye job did to the burl and the contrast with the 'natural' finish on the inside. That is definitely an eye catcher.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Another kudo from me, nate. I like how you didn't go overboard with the color.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Thank you all for your very kind comments. Sure is nice when the wood makes you look good
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Beauty Nate. I like the dye job and the form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.