Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unifence Rail

Unifence Rail

Does anyone have, or know where I can purchase a 52" rail for a Unisaw? I need the rail which the fence slides on. When I purchased the saw all they had was a short 30" rail. I didn't think it would be that hard to find a longer one.

Craigslist is your best bet and it could be a good wait. I have a friend who watches for them and buys any that are a good deal. At one point he had several stockpiled but I think he's down to just 1 or 2 that he has plans for.

They actually aren't too bad to ship. He shipped one to a friend who moved away. He ended up finding a cardboard tube but plan B was 4" S&D PVC with caps on the ends. It was only around $40 to ship from Michigan to Texas via Fedex ground with an account.

Any steel yard will have what you need? 2x3 square tube. Upgrade to 1/8' while you're at it. Way cheaper too.

Unifence rails are a unique aluminum extrusion.

Gary, I've already sent you a PM with a link to a thread at Lumberjocks talking about this. Here are some links I've found. At least some do not have this in stock. May be that none do.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b.../delta/36-150/ shows price and part number for all 3 lengths.

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/parts-d...or-36-150.html

http://www.toolorbit.com/delta/delta-36-150.html

http://www.parts-recycling.com/Auto-...-front-bar.htm

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/sh...ifence-rail-50

Well, this should be a start. I just searched on Delta 36-150. Gotta run, have a carburetor to rebuild. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Gary,

There are two flavors of Unifence rail- old and new (see photo):

I have a spare 52" old style rail. The old syle is a bit harder to mount. It is used, has some scratches, and it appears it no longer has the tape scale, but those are readily available. I was going to use it for a drop-down left extension but I might be convinced to let it go for a modest price. Shipping might be a killer.

Or we could do a swap.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 08-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.

7. I have one, I believe it is an old style.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Unifence rails are a unique aluminum extrusion.
    Oh, yeah Haven't seen one in a while.

Alan, thanks for the response. Judging by your pictures, I have the old style. Could you give me a call so we could discuss. My phone is: 906-786-8482. Thanks, Gary

Jim, thanks for the response. I have the old style per Alan's pictures above. Could you give me a call so we could discuss? Thanks, Gary 906-786-8482

11. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Thinglum View Post
    Jim, thanks for the response. I have the old style per Alan's pictures above. Could you give me a call so we could discuss? Thanks, Gary 906-786-8482
    I tried to respond to your message but it didn't seem to take it. The weight is right at 20 lbs. It should be crated which would add. It is 83" long. My zip is 97401. I usually use fedex. Don't know why I couldn't seem to send a reply but it just disappeared. I guess I don't know enough about this web site.

Jim
    It is anodized aluminum, never used, old style.

Jim
    Last edited by James Marshall; 08-20-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Thinking out loud here: instead of building a crate, how 'bout utilizing the appropriate length and diameter plastic pipe with glue-on end caps?

'Dunno' which would be cheaper a crate or the PVC. Have SWAG (Scientific-Wild Arsed-Guess) that the PVC would be stronger, especially something of that length and weight. Plus, considering that a Uni-fence rail is not found everyday, it might be worth while to spend the money on a stout shipping container.

I have seen telescopes and fishing rods shipped in PVC and it seems to be a UPS/Fed Ex proof shipping method.

I bought one a couple years ago through eBay. The guy shipped it USPS. Apparently they will ship packages that are pretty long. That might be the most economical way to get a rail shipped.

Bill

That rail is pretty strong so you just need to protect it from surface damage. The rail I got was just wrapped/rolled up in one layer of bubble wrap. Then it was covered with cardboard from flattened boxes secured with copious amounts of tape.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 08-21-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Hi Alan, I haven't forgot about your Unifence front rail. Jim has a new one but, has been on vacation for a couple of weeks. Suppose to get back with me next week. Thanks for your help. Will let you know how I make out. Gary