Thread: numbers on a saw set?

numbers on a saw set?

The "anvil" on this morril saw set has a lot of small hard to read numbers on it. Trying to set some rip teeth today, any number that should be used? SDC15624.jpgEyeballs might need a little help seeing them, too...

How many TPI is your saw? The lower the number on the saw set the greater the set to the teeth. I always put the set a couple of numbers higher than the TPI of the saw, for example a saw with 5 TPI I'll put the saw set on 7 it's easier to add more set than to reduce it. Jerry

I have yet to find one where the numbers have any correlation to the ppi of a saw. I'm sure that the makers did not intend for them to be used for that, since they were certainly aware that the desired amount of set varied widely depending on the situation. Rather, they are provided as reference so that a certain set could be returned to if you switch between saws.

To find the right amount of set, set a few at the heel of the blade and check the set. It is impossible to give you a firm number, but if you start with the total set as 1/4 to 1/3 of the thickness of the blade, you will probably be in the ballpark. There is a range that will work well, so don't obsess too much about hitting a particular number.

Just tried about a foot long stretch on a 5ppi rip saw. number than seemed to work was a 4. Almost as if the plunger is worn down a bit, as the set bottoms out. Any adjustments to one of those?

Must be doing something wrong. Tried again with the set, plunger just bottoms out, without much effect on the tooth. Either that, or that old Disston 5 pointer is still set pretty good. Went ahead and sharpened the saw up, seems to be ok, for a rip saw..

Would the plunger have been turned around somehow?

Blog Entries
    Do you have a caliper or any other way to measure the saw plate and then the set to see what you have as a starting point?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nope, no calipers around the shop. Took the set to work last night, to look at the settings on it through the lighted magnifier. Seems it was set on "17", rotated it until it read "4", and will try it out tomorrow.

Purpose of the set screw in the rear of the set? Is it to clamp onto the plate?SDC15626.jpgor, is left somewhat loose?

Blog Entries
    Purpose of the set screw in the rear of the set?
    I have always set it on that type of tool to ride along the saw plate so that the angle of attack doesn't vary.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)