Thread: Ulmia bench hold down?

Ulmia bench hold down?

Just got a sweet Ulmia bench from Craiglist! It has a bunch of round 1 1/8 holes that expand to 1 1/2 on the bench top for the enormous bench dogs.
    Was wondering if anyone knows if Ulmia makes hold downs for these benches, or what other kind of hold down/hold fast I could use in this situation.
    My Veritas hold down and iron hold down are too skinny for these big holes!

thanks in advance

Mike these Leigh hold downs claim to fit holes up to 30mm which may be what you're after.

Here are some 30mm Dogs.

Perhaps some sort of rubber bushing to accommodate your existing 3/4" accessories?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

If the holes expand out the top, I suspect they are badly worn. You might want to plug and re-drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    If the holes expand out the top, I suspect they are badly worn. You might want to plug and re-drill.
    not warn, counter bored to catch the dogs head so it doesnt drop to the floor. Quite clever.

Hilton-
    thanks for the Leigh hold down tip. I'll probably order one of those and give it a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rother View Post
    Just got a sweet Ulmia bench from Craiglist! It has a bunch of round 1 1/8 holes that expand to 1 1/2 on the bench top for the enormous bench dogs.
    Mike-

I have the same bench. The holes are 30mm IIRC. I am also looking for hold down solutions. Dictum of Germany offers an expensive "Insertion Clamp" that works with the Ulmia's 30mm holes, but I suspect it is for the newer Ulmia benches which no longer have the counterbored holes like ours have.

I think the 45mm counterbore is probably 20mm deep. The Leigh hold downs look interesting, but you might lose 20mm of the 3" capacity due to the counterbore. Also, I am not sure how excited I am about reaching under the bench to detach, re-attach the "speed nut" when I want to move the hold-down. If you do get one, please let me know how it goes.

A few well placed 3/4" holes and a pair of cheap TFWW holdfasts may still be the best solution for me.

Mike,

They list both round and rectangular dogs among the accessories available for their benches:

http://www.ulmia.de/English/Ulmia_Sc...k%20Modell%202

Maybe contact Ulmia directly to see what they have and could ship to the U.S., or point you to a source here; there are people there who read and speak English.

ULMIA GmbH
    Altheimer Str. 1
    D-88515 Langenenslingen
    GERMANY

Telefon +49 (0) 7371/966920
    Telefax +49 (0) 7371/966922

eMail: info@ulmia.de
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 08-21-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vanzo View Post
    Mike-

I have the same bench. The holes are 30mm IIRC. I am also looking for hold down solutions. Dictum of Germany offers an expensive "Insertion Clamp" that works with the Ulmia's 30mm holes, but I suspect it is for the newer Ulmia benches which no longer have the counterbored holes like ours have.

I think the 45mm counterbore is probably 20mm deep. The Leigh hold downs look interesting, but you might lose 20mm of the 3" capacity due to the counterbore. Also, I am not sure how excited I am about reaching under the bench to detach, re-attach the "speed nut" when I want to move the hold-down. If you do get one, please let me know how it goes.

A few well placed 3/4" holes and a pair of cheap TFWW holdfasts may still be the best solution for me.
    Hi Scott
    Thanks for the Dictum link. That's the exact kind of hold down I imagined would be out there. Similar solution to what Sjöberg uses.
    I'm beginning to think some well placed 3/4" holes might be the way to go as well...

I'll let you know if I take the plunge on a Leigh hold down.

Thanks again
    M