Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsizing shop from Felders to ?

Downsizing shop from Felders to ?

I'm about to part with my beloved Felder sliding table saw and Felder Jointer/Planer. With my three kids and conflicting hobbies, I am downsizing my shop. I only make it down to woodwork every few months, and sadly can't justify keeping my Felders. Plus, I need the space in the garage. I will keep my bandsaw, Festools, and the rest of my tools.

I'd like to get your advice on a replacement saw, portable planer, and maybe dust collector.

Thinking of getting a contractor's saw with somewhere around a 36" rip to keep the footprint down. It needs to have a riving knife and a top quality mobile base that is easy to use. I used to be a tool junkie, but it's been a long time since I've been on top of who makes quality tools at a good price. I won't buy flimsy junk, looking for quality. Not sure if Grizzly's quality is decent enough. I'd also consider the SawStop contractor saw, but jeez I just don't use it that often so don't know if I can justify the expense.

Also thinking of a small benchtop planer. I used to have a DeWalt, the first one broke and was serviced. It was fine after that until I replaced it with the Felder. What do you recommend?

I have hand planes and can flatten a board. Takes forever, but I think I can do without a jointer. Plus, I have woodworking friends in the area with jointers. This is the tool I will miss the most.

I may also sell my big Oneida stationary cyclone dust collector and replace it with a small portable unit. Any recommendations on a portable dust collector would also be appreciated. Looking at the Oneida Mini-Gorilla, however it's about $1,000 once it has the mobile base and can. Seems pricey compared to the Jet, Grizzlies, Shop Foxes, Etc.

Thanks! It's been a few years, good to be back to the Creek.
    Last edited by Todd Solomon; 08-18-2013 at 12:47 PM.

I almost did the same thing when we were raising three daughters. Late one night I got a brain storm. I got out of bed, loaded the TV into the truck and drove it over to the Salvation Army and left it in back on the loading dock.

After the kids pitched an absolute fit, they started helping me in the shop at night. It really brought us together as a family. To this day they don't have TVs in their houses.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I almost did the same thing when we were raising three daughters. Late one night I got a brain storm. I got out of bed, loaded the TV into the truck and drove it over to the Salvation Army and left it in back on the loading dock.

After the kids pitched an absolute fit, they started helping me in the shop at night. It really brought us together as a family. To this day they don't have TVs in their houses.
    Haha, good story! I struggle with that issue. My kids are glued to the TV, or if not, the computer. It's a tug of war. However my son and I did build a beautiful bench swing that hangs from an arbor in the garden last year. All mortise and tenon joinery, with the tenons pinned with dowels. It will last his lifetime. It was his wish for a birthday present. Very cool father and son project, an experience neither of us will ever forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I've been without tv service for years. Still have a tv, but I don't get any channels. Don't miss it a bit.

As for compact tools, I would consider the sawstop, and inca. I have a little inca table saw, and it is fantabulous.

TV free household here too........

I have tried quite a few portable saws trying to find something that cuts as good as my old Delta/Unifence contractors saw but is lighter, and I am still using the contractors saw on site. I have a shelf in the shop full of other saws I have tried.

I drew up a cabinet that would have a contractors saw in it that when closed would look like a cabinet, much the same as a Murphy bed. A simple rope/pulley arrangement with a cleat like on a sailboat would make lifting easy. Just a thought........

PS: Sorry you feel you have to lose the tools.

Larry

Something to ponder...if you plan on keeping woodworking in your life long after the kids move out and you get to retirement age, keep in mind that you may not be able to afford to buy equipment like your Felder gear at that point. I'm in a similar situation to you in that my equestrian pursuits are greatly eclipsing my woodworking pursuits in the present, but I'm sticking with the plan I made with myself a number of years ago and the big Mini Max machines are staying in my shop unless I am forced to move to a smaller space sometime in the future. I made those purchases when I had a couple of really good years of business income because I knew that I might not have another chance to do it in the future. And that was "pre-kids" since the shop was in place before we adopted our daughters 8 years ago. (they are now 14 and 18 and that's where the "disposable income" goes... LOL)

If you really, really, REALLY need the space, it is what it is, but otherwise, try to hang on. I suspect you'll not be really happy with the "downsized" tools given the taste of the "good stuff" you've already had for awhile now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used a felder sliding table saw for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Now every cut I make I think how much easier it would be with a slider. I think if you get rid of your quality tools what ever you replace them with will be a disappointment .
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I agree with Jim and Joe. I have to use both, and I do get frusterated on site using smaller tools. When I get a few days work in the shop on the SCM/Minimax equipment it is a pleasure. But not all work can be done in the shop...........

Larry

Sell the planer, not the saw. Once you've learned to work with a format saw, everything else is likely to be maddening. Planers and jointers are kind of like cars - they all get the job done but some do it with more style. You could dump the stuff and get an older used x31 for about $2k. One thing I can say about Felder is the high-end mystique around the brand supports good resale prices. I bought a used felder mid-size table saw but I'll dump it in a hot minute if and when I get into a shop where I can replace it with an old full-sized Martin, SCMI, or Altendorf. The resale value was a big factor in getting the Felder and it's a refined saw but the price of OEM accessories is ridiculous so I make my own. Alternately you could switch over to really building hardwood furniture and you'll barely need a table saw.

You guys are making really solid points, I would probably offer the same advice to me, if I were not me

However, I've contemplated this for a couple of years now. The good news is that I am keeping a lot of really good tools (MM16, Festools, my precious Lie-Nielsen hand planes, all of my hand tools), just not the big boys. I nearly kept my jointer/planer, that one does not take up much space but is almost a zen experience to use compared to what will replace it, LOL.

I actually feel guilty to let those beautiful Felders go unused, it's almost like neglecting a pet if that makes any sense. I'd rather someone else gets enjoyment out of them. I probably will do more woodworking on a regular basis in the future, but I think it will be quite a few years.
    Last edited by Todd Solomon; 08-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Well the good thing about machines is they don't go bad

I'm with the others as I don't think you can be happy once you've used better equipment. I wouldn't feel too guilty that they are unused, as you may get many years of use out of them down the road? Of course only you can decide what to do, just remember that the cost of tools continues to increase every year. Selling the tools now will only get you a percentage of what you paid, and re-buying in 5 or more years, will cost you a lot more than what you spent the first time. Think carefully of not only the loss in joy when using the equipment, but the loss in cash if you sell it

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon View Post
    I actually feel guilty to let those beautiful Felders go unused, it's almost like neglecting a pet if that makes any sense. I'd rather someone else gets enjoyment out of them. I probably will do more woodworking on a regular basis in the future, but I think it will be quite a few years.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but just remember what it will cost to replace them in a few years. I'd let mine sit before I would consider selling them.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Okay, back to the original question, although I do appreciate your thoughts on keeping my Felders. But still...

I'd like to get your advice on a replacement saw, portable planer, and portable dust collector.

Thinking of getting a contractor's saw with somewhere around a 36" rip to keep the footprint down. It needs to have a riving knife and a top quality mobile base that is easy to use. I used to be a tool junkie, but it's been a long time since I've been on top of who makes quality tools at a good price. I won't buy flimsy junk, looking for quality. Not sure if Grizzly's quality is decent enough. I'd also consider the SawStop contractor saw, but jeez I just don't use it that often so don't know if I can justify the expense.

Also thinking of a small benchtop planer. I used to have a DeWalt, the first one broke and was serviced. It was fine after that until I replaced it with the Felder. What do you recommend?

I may also sell my big Oneida stationary cyclone dust collector and replace it with a small portable unit. Any recommendations on a portable dust collector would also be appreciated. Looking at the Oneida Mini-Gorilla, however it's about $1,000 once it has the mobile base and can. Seems pricey compared to the Jet, Grizzlies, Shop Foxes, Etc.

Thanks,

Todd

I mostly parked my equipment for about 20 years while our son was growing up. Now I'm retired and glad I've got a shop full of tools and hardwood that I collected over those years. I actually upgraded to some better equipment since retiring (Minimax SC-4 Elite) and would never think of going back to the old Boice-Crane contractor's saw that I had for years. Like others have said, after experiencing the quality equipment you currently have, especially the saw, I don't see how you could possibly be happy with something less. The more difficult decision I'm facing would be directed at Jim Becker. Once you finally decide that you're not going to replace your current horses when they are gone, do you sell your custom saddle or just go out to the tack room periodically to admire the craftsmanship?

I don't own any big machinery but I do own some very fancy Nikon SLR lenses. Once in a while, I go through the same thing and do the whole, "Oh, I'll never use this, might as well sell it"-thing. And every time I have sold a lens, I regretted doing that afterward. It just costs you twice as much the nesxt time around. At least that is how it has gone for me. I'd hang onto the machines if it was me.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA