Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dovetail jigs/machines: Cool tool or blasphemy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Pics from my kitchen in progress. I know there are folks here who can achieve this by hand, but I ain't one of them. These were done with the new(ish) Porter Cable OmniJig dovetail jig (16" in my case) that has perplexed so many since it was introduced. Myself included. But I refused to succumb and after hours of trial and error, I declared war and set aside 3 days (if needed) to wrestle this thing to the ground until it cried uncle. After the first day, I knew I had won. The problem is, it is an engineering marvel but a manufacturing disappointment. I would love to meet the guy who designed this- he's brilliant. The problem is, the user has to over come the manufacturing deficiencies. Once you understand how it was designed to work, the light goes off. (or on?)

The preceding kitchen vs heirloom discussion is spot on but this IS a kitchen and as I said, I know I can't achieve this kind of perfection without the jig and router(s).

Cherry front and white ash sides and back. Note the telltale Blum Tandem notch and hole at the back. Even tho the cherry front is 7/8" and the ash back is 3/4" they were done with the same setup, the only difference being a 1/8" difference in the half blind dovetail remainder of the stock thickness. Easy.

My chance of achieving this level of perfection by hand is less than zero. Put me in the jig camp, happily.

Attachment 268897Attachment 268898Attachment 268899Attachment 268900Attachment 268901
    Beautiful work, sir. I have the 4212 for when I want to cut them by machine, yes there is a learning curve but once you get it the jig works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Okay, I would use a jig for Dave's project too. That would be a lot of dovetails. I'm warming up to the idea of getting a fancy adjustable jig. For the time being I can't justify it for the number of times I would use it. If I ever did a kitchen then yes- I would get a jig. Please don't tell anybody. :-)
    Which was my point....besides, I like freedom of choice. there are times it just works better to cut them by hand...and I am learning very slowly.