Thread: Any handmade stained glass experts hangin' around?

Blog Entries

Any handmade stained glass experts hangin' around?

My younger brother salvaged these stained glass panels while they were still in old cabinet doors on some home remodeling project a long time ago. He ended up giving me the five doors that he picked up. They measure roughly 9 1/2 inches by 32 inches and are probably a little thicker than 1/8 inch. They appear to be old hand made glass with all of the requisite flaws and features such as bubbles in the glass, linear lines, distortion and an uneven surface. The lead channel used to nest the glass in is also, I believe, a sign of an older piece. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or do I have something in this glass? Should it be somewhat collectible and valuable...can anyone put a rough estimate on the worth of each panel? Thanks

panels3 (500 x 281).jpgpanels4 (500 x 281).jpgpanels5 (500 x 281).jpgpanels6 (500 x 281).jpgpanels7 (281 x 500).jpg
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Blog Entries
    I can't answer your question directly, but I'll say this... plenty of stained glass is still done with lead channeling, and bubble glass is still manufactured (for the old-style look you mention). So, it may be old, it may not be... how old was the cabinet?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

They make glass now to look old with all the bubbles, streaks & unevenness. The lead came is suppose to have the channel for the glass. I've done some leaded glass yrs back.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or do I have something in this glass? Should it be somewhat collectible and valuable...can anyone put a rough estimate on the worth of each panel?
    I used to work for Salisbury Glass (a big commercial glazing company) we used to buy in new stained glass that looked centuries old, the easiest way to tell (if memory serves) is to measure the thickness of the panels, modern glass tends to be float so is a nice even thickness where as older stuff tends to have quite a variation in the thickness due to the way it was made (no, not because glass is a liquid, it's not it's an Amorphous Solid) if it is very even in thickness it's likely post 1950 (Alistair Pilkington pioneered the float glass method in the mid 50's)

Not a definitive way to tell as small modern manufacturers still make non float glass to order (I'm going to be at a glass blowing factory on Wednesday this week as it happens) (I have a hobby level fascination with glass blowing) so I'll ask one of the pro's there if there is a better way to age the item.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Looks pretty much like the glass one finds in a stained glass supply store.

My wife has interest in doing stained glass. She would look at this and comment that its value is only as much as raw glass since it is a fairly simple design. This is the kind of thing she would buy if the cost was low enough to salvage the glass if it was something she wanted to use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got some glass like that in my inventory racks in my glass studio, pretty common stuff. Actually the panels look more like they are assembly line stuff to me. The joints are a little too uniform to be custom work. Either way, as said before, it doesn't have the look of something special. Sorry Perry

I've done some stained glass work before. I'm a little suspicious because the lead came is too perfect, smooth, straight, as are the leaded joints. The glass looks too clear and too uniform in color, not like old glass at all. Also the joints between the glass and the came would be filled with putty, or remnants thereof.

8. Nope. That's all modern. They didn't even put on an artificial patina to the lead.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all who answered. I finished them up this morning.

finisheddivider (500 x 281).jpg
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!