Thread: Grizzly Dust Collector spewing fine dust

Grizzly Dust Collector spewing fine dust

I have just bought the G0548zp dust collector.

I made a thein separator and put an inline trash can - it's collecting most of the shavings...

The issue I have is that it keeps building up a fine layer of dust on the outside of the filter - almost greyish white - and it spews the dust out when I crank the cleaning handle...and in the right light, you can see it coming out even when not using the handle.

This cannot be the way it's supposed to work - it's not collecting the fine dust, and it's spewing it into my shop - had three asthma attacks today from it pumping cedar dust into the air!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-...Series/G0548ZP

I think there's an issue with the filter they sent me? It's rated to 1 micron, so there should be no dust like this coming out the pleats, I wouldn't think!

Anyone else have this model?

I have that model and haven't had any of the problems you're reporting.

My first call would be to Grizzly tech support, they might be able to identify the root cause.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

It depends somewhat on what you are doing most. 1 micron may not be sufficient for fine sanding dust.

http://www.uasinc.com/HEPAFilters.aspx... 0.3 micron and even finer filters are available.

It's actually wood chips from my attic that I was sucking up to try and test out the filter....seems like that wouldn't be the fine sanding dust...

My oneida did that until they sent me replacements that weren't defective. A bad seal would be my guess.

It shouldn't be the seal - it's coming from the filter itself - right through the pleats, I think...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jordan View Post
    It shouldn't be the seal - it's coming from the filter itself - right through the pleats, I think...
    First off, congrats on going for the 1 micron filter. I shudder when I read about folks venting 5 micron airstreams back into their shop air supply.

One of my mistakes in troubleshooting my system was deciding what it wasn't. Mostly I was right but, the eventual fix turned out to be something I was sure it wasn't . Call Grizzly and follow the recommended process diligently. It is easy to get impatient and want it to be fixed NOW . . . . it just sometimes takes a bit longer than that .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-20-2013 at 1:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I set up the 3Hp version of your collector a few days ago. I have not had the chance to give it a good test as yet though. Filters rated at 1 micron do not stop all particles 1 micron and above. Filters have a beta rating which an indication of their efficiency. My experience with a 1 micron Delta 50-760 dust collector is that fine dust will get through the filter. If you can smell the wood it means fine particles are getting through. Even though you are sucking up chips they will be covered with fine dust.

I am asthmatic as well. Suggest that you do not depend on a dust collector to protect your lungs. I use a 3M dust mask with P100 filters especially when cleaning the bag or emptying the secondary separator bin. Let us know what Grizzly says.

MK

I have that model and have not experienced your problem. Something is definitely out of kilter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jordan View Post
    It's actually wood chips from my attic that I was sucking up to try and test out the filter....seems like that wouldn't be the fine sanding dust...
    You say you're vacuuming up wood chips and are getting fine dust blowing out of the DC? That one needs some explaining.

Have you called Grizzly tech support as has been suggested? 1 (570) 546-9663. I for one am interested in what they have to say.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Most attics I have seen are covered in very fine dust. Especially being asthmatic, I would still recommend finer than 1 micron filtering. Even then, they will not stop all dust from being released back into the air!

Hard to know for sure without seeing it in person. As the others have mentioned, these dust filters do NOT get all the dust. A good setup will collect a lot of the dust, just not all. When you say you can see it "in the right light" it makes me think it's not a cloud of dust, but just the super fine stuff....like what you might see if you give the couch cushion a good rap?

I don't have any lung issues but still have several air filters in the shop and wear a mask for the heavy dust operations. I'm also running a large cyclone which captures a LOT of even the finest dust. But there's still going to be some escaping. For instance, if you work with cedar, Ipe, walnut, and woods that have a distinct smell to the dust, you can smell it in the air whenever it's being milled in my shop. You mention you were vacuuming which is different, but something to keep in mind is most of the commonly used machinery in small shops is not engineered with dust collection as any kind of priority. That's starting to change but still a long way to go. Hence once you start using your dust collector for WW operations you'll need to account for some dust escaping the machine as well

good luck,
    JeffD

Grizzly's shipping me out a new canister tomorrow - they're covering the parts and shipping, and I just have to pay taxes and duty.

Very impressed with Grizzly customer service.

Andrew

Andrew,

Get a stick of incense, light it and hold it near any potential leak source while the DC is running. If there's a leak it will find it!! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!