Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Gloat - Stanley #55

Tool Gloat - Stanley #55

Gift from dad that was a gift from grand dad.
    Grand dad tried woodworking but had no patience, later in life became a serious tool collector.
    Dad has been a woodworker for more than 50 years now.

At some point grandpa gave dad a #55 with cutter sets 1-4 and two blade sets for a #45 - 1 and 2. Dad has never used it; he has loads of machines and really not interested in hand tool work. I am very driven to learn more about hand tool working and thus this is now mine.

Gloat gloat gloat

130819-356.jpg130819-357.jpg130819-359.jpg

Sweeeeeet.

55s are nice, especially as complete as that. Nice and nice for work are two different things, but it will look nice while you use other planes to do the work....and every once in a blue moon, you might get into a pinch where you need to use it for a profile on house trim or something.

The fact that it's been in the family that long is extra cool, though, and it's in good shape with the tower and all.

Purrrrrrdy!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Wow. . .uh. . .

That thing looks. . .slightly complicated. Almost like an old-timey Transformer or something.

The fact it's been in the family is awesome, too.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I have no misconceptions in regard to functionality; they are a pain to setup and usually a multi-tool is a poor substitute for several dedicated tools.

My next hand tool purchases were going to be a set of Veritas plow planes and a Rabbet plane (set of skewed, maybe). Now I can use that money toward a table saw instead. I believe my first use will be to make tongue and groove joints on clear straight grained red cedar for shelves in the linen closet. The wood it super dry and easy to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    I have no misconceptions in regard to functionality; they are a pain to setup and usually a multi-tool is a poor substitute for several dedicated tools.

My next hand tool purchases were going to be a set of Veritas plow planes and a Rabbet plane (set of skewed, maybe). Now I can use that money toward a table saw instead. I believe my first use will be to make tongue and groove joints on clear straight grained red cedar for shelves in the linen closet. The wood it super dry and easy to work.
    Multi-tool? How about we start with what this thing *can't* do. . .it may be a shorter list.

And even if it's not functional at all, it's cool, dude. But hopefully it'll do your tongue-and-grooves nicely.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    Very cool indeed.

My experience has shown that the best way to learn about setting up a #55 is by using a #45.

Since this is a hand-me-down you may just have to struggle with getting the adjustable skate set up to use it like a #45.

My #55 has helped me to reproduce some old molding for a project built for a friend.

If you do not already have the instruction booklet you might find this helpful:

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...anes/55man.pdf

Good luck,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I used to have one some years ago. I did make moulding with it for some picture frames & it was fun to use. It really worked well though it does take some getting used to (and super sharp cutters!).

OK...that's it...you suck.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Very nice, especially knowing the family history. And for those of you who despise 45's and 55's, I'll gladly take them off your hands. I love my 45 (both the Stanley and the Colt).

Indeed! Very nice--especially the family heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    OK...that's it...you suck.
    +1 (and a pointless parenthetical to get me over the minimum number of characters per post)
    Michael Ray Smith

Nice looking plane fer sure
    Having only seen 2 45s in the wild: (both of which were incomplete, I think) and
    not having seen a 55 in person- am I correct in concluding that the 55 has a good bit
    more knobs and attachments?

Blog Entries
    am I correct in concluding that the 55 has a good bit
    more knobs and attachments?
    Yes, the 55 has an outboard skate that is adjustable for height. This allows for non-symmetrical blades to be used. There is also an auxiliary skate to lend support in the center.

The 55 also has fences for both sides. The runner on the fences are adjustable for angle of attack. The screws on holding the wood allow for this.

The Stanley brain trust knew enough about the wood workers of the day to make the main parts of their multi-use planes incompatible with each other. The rods may be the same size, but the spacing between them is different for each plane.

The exact numbers escape me at the moment...

The latest edition of the #45 was supplied with 23 blades and 20 more were available "special cutters."

The #55 was supplied with 54 blades and 42 more were available as "special cutters."

Stanley also offered a service of making custom blades for the #55.

Some call it a boat anchor. Others think of it as an ingenious way to pack a lot of molding plane into one box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)