Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: type of glue for stave core

Most of the polyurethane glue bottles say waterproof and strong then add ,don't use for structural purposes under water .But at least one has been tested and I've been told its a very expensive thing .Tests for above water ,under water ,wet ,dry ,etc.
    I trust that certification more than any tests done by any magazine.

The tests I read from the german board of something or other involved structural stresses above the water line, no mention of sub aqueous work. There was a comparison to epoxy, the issue was strength after repeated stress-release-stress cycles such as glue lam frames in snow load countries face. Epoxy is very strong, but brittle, so when it fails it fails big and quick. One part moisture cure urethane it seems is better able to roll with the punches, it flexes and returns with little or less appearantly loss of strength than many other options. Sort of like a willow versus an oak. And the bond strength is substantial too. I'll look for a link to the research later.

jack
    English machines

Jack, rofl, glad to see the folks at gorilla have a sense of humor and a good lab. I wish they made a glue with a longer open time though, I need more time to get my butter properly positioned, and the soap always seems to slip at the last minute. I'd like to see them glue a hot dog to a stick of butter then run the whole mess through a saw stop.

Wow, that's amazing. They finally found a good use for Gorilla Glue !

John

As the OP of this thread I thank all for the contribution and discussion. Also the links provided were good read and source of knowledge. I am feeling a lot of these technical discussions might not really matter
    in applications we are dealing with (who has the door submerged in water for 6 months?!).

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    (who has the door submerged in water for 6 months?!).

this old wood worker could have used some glue like that MO.

ark.JPG
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    this old wood worker could have used some glue like that MO.

ark.JPG
    They never did find that guys boat.....I'd guess he burned it to get rid of the smell after all those months with the animals in the hold? Or maybe built his house with it, would have been the only timber left that wasn't soaked.

Mreza, I'm often amused by the tests they concoct to test adhesives. I know they are trying to simulate what happens to an assembly over time, to speed the process up. But boiling the wood? Then baking it....then boiling it again? Or crushing it on a press?

The tests I linked are more pragmatic, a glue lam timber frame failure can kill a lot of people, and they have happened. How this relates to a door....probably not at all. But still, never try to use your door to hold up the roof of an under water skating rink under any circumstances.