Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound reduction: Have you used Roxul? Did it work for you?

When I had my studio I used a basic fabric from a local store, think something like a cotton sheet. Most likely be $4-5 a yard. Nothing expensive, not a super high thread count, etc.

The only thing that stops low frequency is mass but even that is not enough; bass is like water, if there is a gap it will make its way through.

Does anyone know of a comparison between the recycled denim product and the Roxul SafenSound (which, being rock wool, is hell to work with)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Williams View Post
    Does anyone know of a comparison between the recycled denim product and the Roxul SafenSound (which, being rock wool, is hell to work with)?
    I found the roxul stuff pretty easy to work with. I wore gloves of course, but then it cut easily with a sharp knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I found the roxul stuff pretty easy to work with. I wore gloves of course, but then it cut easily with a sharp knife.
    +1 I am in the process of insulating my garage with Roxul now and find it extremely easy to use. It fills the cavity and holds its place. Haven't had any problems at all. Standing in a corner that has insulation the sound absorption qualities are apparent. Excellent stuff.
    Doug

I also found it incredibly easy to work with. Just follow their installation advice and use a serrated bread knife to cut it. Didn't notice any damage to the bread knife, and I put 8 bales of it in my garage.

Andy

(which, being rock wool, is hell to work with)?
    Another one that found it really easy to use. Using it to insulate my 20x24 shop. Doesn't itch like fiberglass. I used a fine tooth pull saw to cut it. Presses between the studs and stays put, which made it really easy to insulate the roof. And higher R values than most fiberglass.

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff Polubinsky; 02-27-2014 at 9:15 AM.
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Huh, I've always found rock wool much, MUCH itchier to work with than fibreglass.

Roxul all the way man!!!! Easy to work with, I still use a mask and long sleeves but not even 1/8 as itchy as fibreglass. put it in my daughters main floor laundry room before it was drywalled and you can barely hear the laundry pair when they're operating!!!!! and not just because it's made here in Milton Ontario Canada!!!!

My nephew is building a new home, and he used the blue denim insulation for sound, around pipes and in bathroom walls, stuff works fantastic for sound. Same idea as the moving blankets, but thicker. I have used suspended ceiling in my shop, that stuff is accoustic as well. The practice rooms in the music department at the college I attended were lined with the same type material. You could hardly hear someone practicing right outside the door.