Thread: Walnut Music Stand

Walnut Music Stand

I've seen a lot of very elegant music stands but most of them look a little wimpy for daily use by a serious musician. I designed this music stand to be stable and rock-solid, as I sometimes have big books on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like your design, Mark. "Classic" with a twist in the way you fabricated the base. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking at this up close opposed to seeing it in your cabinet thread makes this thing really shine. I love your design, wood, and execution. The miter joints in the feet are great.

Great piece with great craftsmanship. I love those tight miters!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I liked the cabinet but this one is a total piece of perfect. Nicely done.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

A lovely piece. I love the beautiful bookmatch.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Beautiful Music stand! I have been thinking about making one.
    In your research did you find any (rules of thumb) as to shelf
    width, height or angles that may save me from doing it twice.
    AGAIN BEAUTIFUL!

Great piece of work and happy to see it up close. The pegs that hold the sliding upright support and the tilting tray are they tuning pegs? very clever

Bill

Very nice work. As Jim mentioned, the base is a neat design. Now it looks like you need to make matching horn stands!!!
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 08-22-2013 at 7:05 PM.

Very nice design Mark and it looks perfectly executed. Congrats on a great project.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    Great piece of work and happy to see it up close. The pegs that hold the sliding upright support and the tilting tray are they tuning pegs? very clever

Bill
    Hi Bill, Yes, they are ebony violin tuning pegs. And here's the best part -- I went to a place that repairs stringed instruments, and they had a whole box of used pegs they had replaced. So the guy gave me a handful for free. Also there are different sizes (violin, viola, cello, double bass) - I used rosewood cello pegs for drawer and door pulls on a larger cabinet I made for piano music.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Beautiful Music stand! I have been thinking about making one.
    In your research did you find any (rules of thumb) as to shelf
    width, height or angles that may save me from doing it twice.
    AGAIN BEAUTIFUL!
    Hi Kevin,

I didn't research dimensions, angels, etc., only designs. I didn't see anything I liked, so my design is entirely original. As to dimensions, I knew what I wanted, so dimensions were established by seat of the pants and they work well for me. The shelf projects 1 7/8" from the "desk". I would probably make this 2" or 2 1/4" if I had it to do over because now I often have a big fake book plus my iPad on the shelf (iPad didnt' exist when I made the stand.) In the middle setting, the desk is angled about 20 degrees from vertical. I really never change this. I can vary the height so that I can sit or stand and have a comfortable height. The width of the desk is 20" and the proportions of the desk form the golden ratio making the height about 12 3/8". Feel free to PM me if you want more or have other Qs.