Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butternut and Walnut Krenov-ish Music Cabinet

Super nice work Mark.

Maybe more importantly (as a fellow musician), you now have yourself a really nice practice room.

The feng shui shift is dramatic.

Reminds me of getting new shoes when I was a kid and just knowing that I could run faster.

Bet your playing just got better ;-)
    Visit my woodworking blog @ http://patrickbtipton.com/blog/

Your creation looks both beautiful and functional. I am particularly impressed by the details of the drawers. I just love quarter sawn sycamore in this application. You have my highest compliments. I wish I could see it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tipton View Post
    The feng shui shift is dramatic.
    By Feng Shui I gather you mean there's more than one path to the music stand and more than one chair to sit on?
    I'm going upstairs to tell my kids to Feng all their Shui off the floor before I throw it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Two newbie technical questions -

Are the drawers bottoms raised panels?
    Do they have any sort of glide beneath, like runners or slips?
    Hi Jim,

The drawer bottoms are beveled on the sides and front (easy to do w hand plane - pencil-mark the extent of the bevel on the bottom and edge and scribble between bevel-extent mark on bottom and the edge so you can make uniform progress as you plane).

I want all the seasonal movement to occur within the drawer front. So I make a deeper groove in the drawer front and use 2 screws to secure the bottom at the drawer back. I also bevel the front edge of the drawer bottom very carefully so that it tapers down to exactly the groove width. I then use a shoulder plane make 1/4" flat section (i.e. un-beveled) at the front of the bottom so that as it moves, the drawer bottom will remain tight in the groove and there won't be any sag in the drawer bottom in the winter. I don't bother doing this with the sides of the bottom. I bevel them until they just fit without slop.

drawer-bottom.jpgdrawer-bottom-detail.jpg

For drawers in case-work like this, I do not use any kind of additional guides or runners. However, I make sure that there is clearance between the drawer back and the drawer bottom as shown below (in photos of the back and front, a straight-edge is spanning the sides). Also, when doing the final fitting of the drawer to the opening, I use a shoulder plane to plane the bottom of the drawer front so that the reveal is uniform on all 4 sides of the drawer front. This results in there being a slight bit of clearance between the bottom of the drawer front and drawer opening. So the result is that the drawer is sliding only on the drawer sides, not on the back or front, as it moves in and out of the opening. The drawers in the tool cabinet in the background of the last photo are made this way and they have gotten daily use for many years with no wear or smoothness issues. Because the music carcase is butternut, there may be more of a wear issue. But there isn't much weight in the drawers so I'm not worried. (Speaking of butternut and wear, I did inlay maple striker plates in the top and bottom of the doors where they contact the latch at the top and the anti-sag rub-button at the bottom.)

drawer-bottom-clearance.jpgdrawer-front-bottom-clearance.jpgtool-cabinet-drawers.jpg

You did an incredible job to this! I like the contrast on the wood and the structure design of this butternut and walnut project! Pretty impressive! Nice work on the dovetail too.

Thanks, this was really helpful.

I'm planning a similar design for kid use, and might build drawer bottoms this way.
    I've been having trouble with clearance at the back of the carcasse, and having the seasonal movement
    constrained in the drawer front is something I had not considered.

It's also an eye-opener to see Butternut like this,
    I've got a stash of the stuff, and have been reluctant to use it.

Seeing your music cabinet has changed that.

(After 6 years in community wind bands in the reed section, I'm also surprised to see such orderly thinking displayed by a brass player. )

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    By Feng Shui I gather you mean there's more than one path to the music stand and more than one chair to sit on?
    I'm going upstairs to tell my kids to Feng all their Shui off the floor before I throw it out...
    Yes, Jim - that!
    Visit my woodworking blog @ http://patrickbtipton.com/blog/

Beautiful work. Love it.

Like everyone else has already said, this is a beautiful, useful and really well made piece. The only small quibble I'd have is that my eye tells me make the drawers out of butternut instead of walnut. But that is a purely subjective thing. A wonderful piece, and thanks for showing it.

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"