Thread: Recommendations for Portable Cyclone Dust Collector?

Recommendations for Portable Cyclone Dust Collector?

All

I currently have a Delta 1.5hp 50-850 dust collector that I have upgraded with a Wynn cannister and Thien Baffle. Works ok, but I still get a fair amount of fines in the pleats which is annoying to clean out.

After running this way for awhile, I am considering upgrading to a cyclone. I've read the Bill Pentz website, so I am famillar with his recommendations. In fact, I had seriously considered getting a 5hp clearvue cv-1800, but I have since ruled it out. My "shop" is in my small 2 car garage which provides too many challenges for permanent ducting: clearance for the garage door itself, a network of HVAC ducting, and exhaust lines for the gas heater and furnace. If I were to utilize the few areas that aren't occupied by these obstructions, I would lose what precious storage space I have (for woodworking stuff, as well as other household items).

For this reason, I'm looking at the portable cyclones that are on the market. In particular, I've got my eye on the 3hp Oneida Dust Gorilla Portable. I like the fact that it has both a remote and dust bin sensor integrated into the tool. Plus, Oneida seems to have a pretty good reputation around here.

My question is whether folks here at SMC have any experience with this particular unit, or any other portable cyclone out there...

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

I took delivery of a 3hp Dust Gorilla Portable earlier this summer after 12 years of using a single stage 2HP, 220V Grizzly with bags from American Fabric Filter.

My shop is in the basement and I really needed the shorter height the portable unit offers. I'm just about ready to design, order and install permanent ductwork but these first few weeks I've benefited from being able to easily move the unit around as I establish locations for the machines. I also like that going forward the unit can be moved relatively easily should my needs change.

I've been satisfied with the performance to date but have used it on a limited basis. It does a great job with the 12" J/P and is a marked improvement over the old unit with the table saw. I also like the integrated remote and dust sensor. The unit shipped clean and took me about 4-hours to assemble. There was one incorrect nut in the hardware kit which I was able to source at the local ACE without difficulty. You do need a helper to lift the motor section.

I still need to figure out a better way to dump the dust bin. I don't have the bag gripper and dumping the drum into a 32 gallon Rubbermaid barrel can make big dust cloud because the bin's diameter is greater than the barrel.

Thinking outside the box because the Clearvue and the Oneida that you mention are similarly priced:

Have thought about mounting the Clearvue on wheels and moving it around as necessary? Not so crazy, perhaps. The footprint is similar. The CV has better performance; it is lighter and very adaptable. Finally, if you upgrade your shop you will already have an "upgraded" cyclone.

I hear you!! I was already SOLD on the idea of the Pentz design (Clearvue), so it was a BIG let down to come to the realization that it just didn't make sense for my particular workspace. The problem is not so much the x-y footprint in so much that the CV is nearly 8ft tall, so it would not be very portable in my shop (would quickly get entangled in the existing HVAC ducts and such hanging down from the ceiling). That's why I'm looking to go the portable route.

Upgrading my shop to be able to utilize an 8ft cyclone would mean moving to a different house. While that might happen someday, the cost of California real estate in my area would quickly eclipse the cost of a new cyclone.

Andy,

Not to beat the issue, but how much height do you have. I only had 90" and I mounted my filters side by side and I use a 35 gallon drum. One last point. Although running flex duct is a theoretical "no-no" I think you will get more "suck" from a 10-15' hose attached to a CV than probably any portable. I have a basement install with one run over 50' of 6" PVC to which I attached a 4" flex for my band saw. The CV still pulls like crazy at that distance

Thanks for the feedback on the Dust Gorilla Portable... Sounds like we have similar situations/constraints. How well does the dust sensor work?

--Andy

The dust bin sensor has worked as expected the few times I've filled the drum.

Paul,

A little over a third of the shop is limited to 7ft due to the garage door. The remainder has an 8ft ceiling, but its awfully congested with the aforementioned obstacles. Can the CV-1800 be squeezed into a 7ft space? I'll post a picture of my layout a little later today...

Andy

Andy,

Yes it can, with a little ingenuity. I'll try to find pictures of my setup to give you some ideas.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post2071280

Andy, the above links are to a posting I made earlier this year. The height obstacles can be overcome and I believe that you can get to 84" height. I did mine in 90."

The challenges were:

Mount the filters side by side vs. being stacked. I made a simple manifold out of MDF and Plywood

Use a smaller drum. I used a 35 gallon drum from Penn State which was only 22" high. You could use the same drum and cut it back by 6". Of course it would reduce its capacity to about 20 gallons, but for a hobbyist that should be fine.

Finally, if you can steal some space between the joists in the garage the Clearvue can be hung between the joists for another 6-7" savings.

If this approach will work for you I will be glad to share more info.

I would look for a used Aget push through type portable. The push through design allows for a little larger cyclone which in turn will handle a full 5 hp impeller design. you can build your own design with a stand alone blower as well. The key is the ability to use a properly designed cyclone vs the short cone usually found on portables. Bigger deal if you create fine dust than with chips though. Dave

Paul (or anyone else with a CV-1800)

Can you provide the distance from the wall to the front of the motor housing (ie the dimension indicated by the yellow arrows in the attached picture, click to make bigger)?

Thanks
    Andy

Picture2.jpg

Andy,

I will check my dimensions later today, but I think my numbers will not be what you are looking for. My hanging bracket brings my cyclone out from the wall about 4-5" since I had to catch the first full 14 1/2" bay between the joists. Your dimension will be affected by the 2 1/4" bracket thickness. I did not use a wall bracket. Perhaps you will need to call Clearvue and ask them for that number based on the actual assembly that the provide.

Let me know if I can help further.

Gotcha. I am trying to see if there is enough clearance to mount the CV motor/blower between one of the garage door tracks and the wall. I have only about 15.5" clearance. I'm guessing that from their picture above, their standard distance would be about 18" which would not fit. From the picture above, seems like the minimum distance I'm looking for would be determined by the diameter of the blower and the diameter of the motor housing (assuming they are concentric, which I beleive they may not be). If I can mount the cyclone in this location, I have roughly a 8ft ceiling, with far fewer obstacles and a location much closer to most of my WW equipment...

As I recall (I'll check later) there is at least 1"+ clearance al the way around the motor from the housing, If you can eliminate the wall bracket (hang from the ceiling) and hold tight to the wall you can pick up the 2 1/4" taken up from the bracket. It is difficult to brainstorm without seeing the actual location and the encumberances. I'll keep throwing out ideas if I can until you succe.ed or choose a different path.

I would definitely talk to Clearvue to see if the mounting plate (the one with the hole in it) could be sliced a bit narrower on each side to gain your width (you may then need a small angle iron for support). The good news is that the total weight of the cyclone is less than 125 lbs and is essentially vibration free, so mounting wise, supporting a 300 lb steel cyclone is not the issue. Another thought: can you skip the bracket and install four threaded rods form the ceiling and attach the mounting plate to that. I have seen such installs.