Thread: Owed to Jamie Donaldson

Owed to Jamie Donaldson

square_bowl_1.jpg

A while back, Jamie Donaldson posted some pics of a couple of square edged bowls, one of which was made of bocote. I commented that bocote was one of my favorite woods. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by Jamie who offered to send me a piece of the bocote along with the suggestion that I try turning a square edged bowl out of it. I gladly accepted the challenge. The box arrived a few days later and, to my surprise, it contained not only a very nice chunk of bocote but also a rectangular piece "ambrosia" maple about 2" X 5" X 7", inscribed with the words, "rectangular bowl". I've not yet attempted a square edged bowl but I've never even contemplated a rectangular one. A dilemma. Try the rectangular bowl first or jump in with both feet and go with the bocote? The bocote won (or lost as the case may be!)

Having never turned a square edged bowl, I accessed my "go to" source of this kind of information, "YouTube". A search for "turned square edged bowl" produced a long list of video clips. At the very top was a video by and featuring a gent by the name of Jamie Donaldson! Coincidence? I think not! This is the very same Jamie Donaldson who sent me the wood. I'm sure of it. I had no idea this guy was a celeb! So now I'm feeling very much on thin ice because I gotta come through. I had a bunch of ideas about how to go about this but watching Jamie doing it with a bowl gouge and making it look so easy… well… I can testify to the fact that it's not!

Through sheer force of will, I resisted the temptation to embellish this little bowl with some extra detailing. I did not want to "copy" Jamie's "signature" square edged bowls but, rather "emulate" them. In that sprit, I added a small foot to this bowl. While perusing Jamie's album, looking at examples, I noticed again, the wonderful NE ogee bowl Jamie posted a while back. I was very taken with that bowl and decided to try and combine that ogee with the square edge bowl. So here is what I ended up with, owed to Jamie on three different levels! Oh and one other thing… watch those knuckles!
    David DeCristoforo

A beautiful piece of work and a great tribute. Well played.

3. That one works, David. I like the combo of the ogee with the square..........sort of leaves almost a tulip-like edge. The bocote has some striking grain. I think a little less height in the foot would make this one about right, but one has to have enough to hold it in the chuck, so that is a balancing act on that issue.

Very generous of Jamie.........nicely done by your hand. I was thinking earlier today that I had not seen many pieces from you as of late, but knew you had been busy with business...........glad at least that you have not lost interest in spinning wood!

Looking forward to your "rectangle" bowl.......
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

very nice!
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Beautiful bowl and the shape is perfect. Actually this shape allows a great deal of innovative shapes. One trick for a large bowl or a piece of expensive wood which might chip off the edge is to glue some cheap(poplar) to the edges. Round it up on the bandsaw, turn your piece and trim off the poplar with a table saw.

Very nice David! Nice ogee curves and clean lines, the wood ain't too shabby either!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Robert, gluing waste wood to the edges is CHEATING!! A real turner does this project the purist way, without cheating, for the challenge and satisfaction of a job well done! Waste wood also hinders the ability to judge edge thickness on the flat sides. It can also be dangerous because 2 of those glue joints are oriented to endgrain, and I've know 2 turners who were injured when a glued edge failed.

As always David, lovely. Well designed and well executed piece (and bocote is one of my favourites too!).
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Well that is just awesome! I'm inspired to do a little emulation of my own. Thanks

very nice David, 1 piece of wood, no pressure , eh, thanks for sharing

Jamie, you try turning a 20" square piece without fenders. That airboat sound is them corners. Properly done this is a good safe glue joint. Having launched dozens of bowls and pieces I take great care to stay out of the firing line.

Wink

06-67 (Large).jpgHere is a 21" square Cocobolo form I turned several years ago without adding waste wood. If accomplished during the heat of summer, the wind from the corners reduces the sweat rolling off my face when the airboat sound starts!

Fantastic bowl and wood too yeah. You cheated--turning those corners back. Bet that was a wench to sand the bottom side.