Thread: Blower Motor

Blower Motor

I am looking at up grading my exhaust on my Versa Laser 6.60

If I use this blower
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html

Which has 6" port on the blowing end.

If Immediately I narrowed that down to 4"

what will that do to the CFM, and Static Pressure.

The other unit i was looking at was
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html

but I do have to have 2 4" hoses going into the suction end of the blower

Thanks Mike
    Last edited by Mr Mike Mills; 08-20-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: exhaust blower
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota

Blog Entries
    It won't do anything to the SP (within reason), but it will kill your CFM (by around half)...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Why not just get one of these from your local "China Depot" ?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gall...tor-31810.html

It's four inch so no stepping down from six, cheaper, and it's pretty quiet.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bednar View Post
    Why not just get one of these from your local "China Depot" ?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gall...tor-31810.html

It's four inch so no stepping down from six, cheaper, and it's pretty quiet.

That one is only 660 cfm. The other one he linked to was 1300 or so. Of course harbor freight has a 1350 cfm dust collector for $200 which you could buy and throw away everything but the blower and still come out ahead.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    That one is only 660 cfm. The other one he linked to was 1300 or so.<snip>
    Mine passes the poor mans static test very well. Put a piece of 8.5x11 sheet of paper against the slots in the front door and it will stay there. It will also stay there with a piece of 8.5x11 cardboard. In short, it sucks hard; and that's a good thing.

I sometimes question the mfg's stated claims on CFM in either the plus or minus direction. The proof of pudding is ..........
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 08-21-2013 at 4:58 PM.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

I have the same unit from Harbor Fright. Works great. Heavy cutting and engraving on a piece of junk plywood and the smoke is gone instantly. That's how I tested it (the pudding tastes good too). My only complaint is the noise. After six hours I need to get out. Now I am building a structure outside the window to house the blower... problem solved.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Not sure if this helps, but just for reference, I'm running this http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html, with the blower placed right at the bottom of the Trotec Speedy 300 (80W), then venting straight up through the warehouse ceiling, which is 16' straight up. This is with 4" hard galvanized piping from home depot. Flow is perfect. This is also a good article to read through: http://www.engraversjournal.com/arti...780/index.html

Recently referred to me on this forum - I will likely be going this route for the time being. 1550 CFM claimed - who knows what it actually is, but I'm sure it's more than I've got right now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html
    All Angles Design
    G.Weike LC1290
    80W & 120W RECI Tubes
    Rotary Attachment

Blog Entries
    Sure, 1550 CFM... what they fail to tell you is that measurement is at 0" H2O. Add in some static pressure that all systems have (say, a measly 6"), and it drops to a more pokey 6-800 CFM (educated guess on that flow rate, but gets the point across).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That blower is the one that came with our Epilog 36EXTS and they told us in no uncertain terms NOT to reduce it. Its powerful enough that when we put a piece of full size material on our vector grid, it sucks it down into place and you have to turn the blower off if you need to remove the material. IMHO, having such a powerful blower also reduces our fire risk from flare ups...that and a good powerful air assist.

having such a powerful blower also reduces our fire risk from flare ups
    They do indeed Mark, the flipside is if a fire does catch they make it series very quickly.

Dan's right, efficiency is the game, no amount of power will make up for a poorly designed flow dynamic.A 75 watt Fantronix inline 550 cfm at the machines exhaust will pull more air than a 2HP 1600 cfm dust extractor will 15 feet away via a duct.

Main thing to remember is, fans on Chinese machines operate via cross flow extraction, not down draft , using huge blowers on Chinese machines can end with the top window collapsing if you get even minor amounts into negative cabinet pressure.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !