Thread: Drill press woes

Drill press woes

I have a Delta DP350 variable speed bench top drill press. The other day I heard a loud bang/crunch when drilling. Looked inside and found the top half of the back pulley had literally disintegrated. Part discontinued/obsolete on ereplacement parts, but found an alternate source here: http://stores.renovoparts.com/-strse...LEY/Detail.bok
    Replaced the pulley, press seemed to work OK. After turning it off/on ~ 4-5 times the switch went bad. Seems to be a common problem, found a replacement switch here that fit perfectly and needed no rewiring: http://www.mcmaster.com/#7194k36/=o6w8hx
    Now the press works except sometimes it will not go into the lower speeds. It gets to the second mark (~1000 RPM?) and that seems to be its lower limit. If it passes this (sometimes it works fine) it will go all the way to the lowest range and vary speed smoothly until it passes the second mark on the dial, at which point it will no longer go down to the lowest range. Any ideas? I don't use this much and don't know if it ever worked properly at lower speeds, but now that it broke it's really bugging me.

Is this a reeves style variable speed? If so they usually come with instructions to run through the full speed range daily, I'm guessing b/c of the bronze bearing in the pulleys? Sounds like you may not have used the full range and now maybe the front pulley is frozen in place, or at least sticking. I think you'll need to get a good look inside as you try to move the speed dial and see what's going on. Hard to fix until we know more specifically what's not working.

good luck,
    JeffD

Yes, these are Reeves style pulleys. I think the front pulley is not meshing properly, though I can't explain why it sometimes works.

If it's old enough you may want to ask over at OWWM as those guys know a whole heckuva lot about these types of drill presses. I have the Powermatic version so I almost kinda know how they work, just not enough to help you fix yours Though I'd probably start out by getting some lubricant in there if you haven't already

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    If it's old enough you may want to ask over at OWWM as those guys know a whole heckuva lot about these types of drill presses. I have the Powermatic version so I almost kinda know how they work, just not enough to help you fix yours Though I'd probably start out by getting some lubricant in there if you haven't already

good luck,
    JeffD
    Don't ask over at OWWM, they aren't very nice when it comes to foreign-made stuff (the DP350 was not made in the USA).

I've had a couple of drill presses w/ Reeves drives. I believe the 350 allows you to run it with the top off. I've seen a video with someone running it w/ top-off, I think. If you do that, and turn the speed adjusting crank, you should be able to see what is hanging-up.

I'm thinking there may be a burr on the shaft somewhere that may be catching the pulley. Hopefully once you shift speeds under power you may be able to figure it out.

When my Shopsmith does that it's usually because I've left it on one speed too long. A dirt ring will develop around the pulley and the shaft under the pulley gets dry. I force the pulley to slide on the shaft with a large screwdriver while adding a few drops of light oil to the shaft.

I used to own a DP350. The motor pulley came apart on that one also. After getting the roll pin back in, I used a wire tie to keep it in place.

My switch also went bad. Got a replacement at Grainger. It was a single pole switch, and I connected the black wires to it. Tied the white wires together.

I replaced the DP with a vintage Delta.

I have the same drill press. My pulley came apart too, but I caught it in time and tied the pin back in. The switch went bad and I did the same fix as Myk, but later had to replace the switch.

The owners manual mentions periodic lubrication of the pulley system. It sounds like you have a bushing that is getting a worn spot in it that the sliding pulley is catching on.

I like my drill press, but the writing is on the wall that I should replace it.

John

Thanks all, I knew this was a cheaply made POS as soon as I looked at the metal the pulley was made from; this is the cheapest pot metal I have ever seen. I took one of the fragments from the pulley and tapped it with a hammer (not hit, lightly tapped) and it disintegrated. The switch was Chinese garbage. Kind of sad - I had an older Delta contractor saw that was rock solid and well built. I think it's probably a worn spot/spur/dirt/machining defect on the shaft or bearing that's causing the problem, I'm debating whether it's worth fixing. In all fairness, the manual says to lubricate the pulleys weekly which I definitely did not do. To make up for it I've lubricated the bejesus out of it since and it's a little better (to be honest, I'm not sure that's true, 'cause my bejesus meter is on back order, so there could be traces left - on that note, do I need a quality Starrett or Fluke meter, or will a Harbor Freight knockoff do?)

I've had the same problems with my 350. Pulley exploded, and was able to replace it but changing speeds has never worked quite right again. I have access to medium to slow speeds and thats it. My switch has also failed twice. Last time I disconnected the switch, reattached and it started working again. I want to replace but I'm not thrilled with my choices.

~mark