Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first android tablet. Now what?

Blog Entries

My first android tablet. Now what?

I just unboxed my first ever Android device, a new Nexus 7 (WiFi only). I bought it mostly for entertainment, and to use as a GPS to replace my aging Garmin. Plus, I just wanted a new gadget.
    I have added a few apps here and there, but before I add too much, I thought I would ask for a few recommendations from my trusted buddies here at the Creek.

What are some good apps to add to my new toy?
    I'm not much into games, but I do want to get a few for my grandkids to play when they come visit.
    Also how about some recommendations for a good GPS navigation app. I am looking at NavFree and Co-Pilot. Actually I think I would prefer a paid version to eliminate ads. With that said, I am still leaning towards NavFree to at least test it out before I spend money.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Angry Birds for the grandkids. Mine love it (actually them, there are several versions for free or paid).

I use Google Maps and Navigation on my Galaxy Note II.

For navigation away from WIFI, I use Copilot. If I have a WIFI connection - say from a 4G hotspot from my phone - I much prefer Google Navigation because the user interface is easier to use. If you are navigating with your tablet, bring the car charger and keep it plugged in because it just drains the battery really fast.

For a notes program, I use ColorNote. I keep my to-do and shopping lists on it. I also keep seldom used but useful information like lawn mower oil and air filter part numbers on it.

For the ultimate in secure information, I use SplashID Safe. It costs a few dollars but uses the highest level of encryption to store things like bank account numbers, credit card numbers, user names and passwords. It provides a way to sync this information over WIFI with your home computer so you can enter and retrieve information from either place.

I have it set up to retrieve my Gmail and sync my contacts with my home computer and laptop.

I use both Weather Channel and Weatherbug to get weather predictions.

I have the apps for all sorts of news services, including both national and local, to keep up with what is going on in the world.

I use the Amazon Kindle app to buy and read books. This app also works with my home computer to convert and download .PDF documents such as camera manuals in Kindle format.

I use a sound recording program called ASR to record speeches that I may want to listen to again.

I sometimes use an app called GPS Status to check the speed, direction and altitude while driving in my car.

I use Financial Calculators to calculate the payments for something I am considering buying with credit.

I use You Version to read the Bible in any of several dozen different versions (requires WIFI to work).

I rarely use the Netflix app to watch old movies and TV programs.

I use Realcalc as a calculator as an alternative to the one that comes with the tablet because it has scientific functions.

I use the tablet version of Google Earth just because its fun to view places from overhead.

I use Skype to make video calls to my daughter when she is away.

I use WIFI Finder to locate sources of free WIFI when I am away from home. It uses a dowloaded database of some 35,000 locations nationwide rather than the internet to find places.

I like Google Chrome better than the web browser that came with my Nexus 7.

Maybe this list will give you a few ideas. Almost all these apps were free.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-30-2013 at 3:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Thanks Art,
    I think your list is Great! It sounds like you are using yours pretty much the same way I have envisioned myself using it.

Do you use the paid version of CoPilot? From the screen shots on Google Play, it looks quite a bit like my Garmin interface ( which is a good thing, I think the learning curve will be less for me). Also GPS Status sounds pretty cool when you don't need a full blown navigation app.

I didn't know there was a PC app to convert pdf files to kindle files. I can see using that one for my manuals I have for various stuff.

I found OliveTree for bible study. It is very nice and does not require WiFi to work. It comes with KJV and ESV bibles for free and you can purchase other versions for less than $5 each. I think it is awesome. There are versions for just about every platform including Mac and PC. They let you download all your purchased bibles and study guides to all you devices and it also syncs your notes and bookmarks. Too many features to list here.

Google Chrome came on my Nexus 7. What browser came on yours?

Do you find a need for Security programs like Avast Mobile Security? I was planning on getting this one, mostly because I also have Avast for my home PCs.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just looked and Chrome was what came on the Nexus 7. I got confused because I just got a new Samsung phone and it had some other browser as the default.

I don't have a security program running on the Nexus but I think it is about time to get one since you brought it up. I haven't had any problems with security on it that I know of but the scum bags just keep finding ways to get into our computer equipment.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-30-2013 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary political comment

I use mine for Pandora a lot - mostly for Pandora actually and for the Kindle app with occasional web browsing.

I have a cheap pair of computer type speakers in the shop and plug the nexus into those when I'm working out there to play music over. Nice to have tunes and the quality is good enough I can access the house wireless from the shop so no bandwidth costs. I need to look at some of the other music apps - iLiveMusic Archive looks useful, I listen to live shows from archive.org all the time on the desktop.

One other thing that I like once I got the hang of it is the "gesture typing" https://support.google.com/nexus/4/answer/2811346?hl=en its a lot easier and faster than one fingering it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I use mine for Pandora a lot - mostly for Pandora actually and for the Kindle app with occasional web browsing.

I have a cheap pair of computer type speakers in the shop and plug the nexus into those when I'm working out there to play music over. Nice to have tunes and the quality is good enough I can access the house wireless from the shop so no bandwidth costs. I need to look at some of the other music apps - iLiveMusic Archive looks useful, I listen to live shows from archive.org all the time on the desktop.

One other thing that I like once I got the hang of it is the "gesture typing" https://support.google.com/nexus/4/answer/2811346?hl=en its a lot easier and faster than one fingering it.
    I have pandora too, I have had it om my iphone for quite some time and I too listen to in the shop over wireless as well. Slacker is another music app, that is very similar to pandora. BTW: I just got an email from pandora saying they are dropping the 40hr per month limit on mobile devices, which happens to me just about every month, so I'm excited about that. I usually switch over to Slacker when that happens anyway. (maybe that's why they dropped it!)

I hve be reading about a replacement keyboard that only cost $1.99 that is supposed to blow away the stock android keyboard called Swiftkey. I thought I would give the stock keyboard a chance before replacing it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 08-30-2013 at 7:43 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I have pandora too, I have had it om my iphone for quite some time and I too listen to in the shop over wireless as well. Slacker is another music app, that is very similar to pandora. BTW: I just got an email from pandora saying they are dropping the 40hr per month limit on mobile devices, which happens to me just about every month, so I'm excited about that. I usually switch over to Slacker when that happens anyway. (maybe that's why they dropped it!)

I hve be reading about a replacement keyboard that only cost $1.99 that is supposed to blow away the stock android keyboard called Swiftkey. I thought I would give the stock keyboard a chance before replacing it.
    I'll have to check out slacker, looks pretty decent. The Pandora ads have gotten a lot more frequent lately which is getting a bit old... Time for a change maybe.

I suppose if I typed a LOT on it the alternative keyboard could be worth it; I'm kinda cheap though and don't type a lot on the nexus (also have a couple of other computers) so I suspect I won't ever bother The stock gestures work pretty well for me except for technical terms and abbreviations, I could see if you were using non-english or were a heavier user something better might well be nice to have.

I like Wood Calculator, UltraChron, I use it for grilling, great timer and I also have the USA Today app that I like.
    I have a lot of the same apps that have been listed.

You said that you were not really interested in games, but...

Check out "The little crane that could".
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tlecrane&hl=en

A simple game where you get to operate a lot of heavy machinery. I think a lot of folks here might appreciate it.

11. Airdroid - remote control of your android and file tranfer
    handyman calculator - lots of calculations for doing stuff
    Mobislenotes - notes and to do list
    Bubble - screen spirit level

Regards

Graham

There's a Yahoo app for your mail and a Sawmillcreek plug in to allow reading it on Android devices.

I dunno what all that other stuff is for...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I just unboxed my first ever Android device, a new Nexus 7 (WiFi only). I bought it mostly for entertainment, and to use as a GPS to replace my aging Garmin. .
    Keep in mind, if it's a wifi only, it won't replace your Garmin until wifi hotspots overlap and hand off to each other like cell towers..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Copilot for Android will optionally download their entire US map database or just pieces you select. No internet required for navigation. That is the reason I bought it. Even if you are using Google Navigation, it will download the maps along a route you have selected if you start out in a WIFI area. The problem comes when you either change destinations or run out of temporarily downloaded maps.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-31-2013 at 8:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Copilot for Android will optionally download their entire US map database or just pieces you select. No internet required for navigation. That is the reason I bought it. Even if you are using Google Navigation, it will download the maps along a route you have selected if you start out in a WIFI area. The problem comes when you either change destinations or run out of temporarily downloaded maps.
    Well, I did not know that.. I was going by my 'semi' smart phone that needs the internet by wifi or data before it will do anything.. Time to upgrade I guess...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it