Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thunderbird Vs Outlook Vs Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Arney View Post
    Thunderbird is the "open source" (free) version of Outlook. I use both and Outlook has nothing over Thunderbird. And Thunderbird is free!
    Not to split hairs, but Thunderbird is not the open source version of Outlook. It is a completely separate product, developed by a different organization, using a completely different code base. Thunderbird does lack a few features of outlook, but it also suffers from less code bloat and way fewer serious security issues. AND it wasn't developed by Microsoft, which is the strongest thing recommending it.
    Paul

Thunderbird is great and was developed by Mozilla (of Firefox fame) I tend to use outlook because I'm lazy and don't really care if any agency of the government want's to read my mail

There have been numerous "secure" email providers over the years (Hushmail etc) does anybody really believe that anything sent via the internet cannot be intercepted? if so I have a nice bridge for sale

Single use pad encryption maybe secure, but using such things will only spike interest and I'm sure the NSA (or whatever letters agency concerned) really don't want to read my mail asking what time my lunch will be ready remember when your mail is delivered via your ISP (unless you happen to OWN an ISP) it matters not where it was stored, it is still readable by a monitor installed at a network switch.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Not to split hairs, but Thunderbird is not the open source version of Outlook. It is a completely separate product, developed by a different organization, using a completely different code base. Thunderbird does lack a few features of outlook, but it also suffers from less code bloat and way fewer serious security issues. AND it wasn't developed by Microsoft, which is the strongest thing recommending it.
    But you ARE splitting hairs. All of what you said is true but also irrelevant with regard to the OPs question. I didn't mean what i said in a literal sense.... geesh!

Blog Entries
    +1 on Thunderbird. It won't interface with a Microsoft Exchange server and I think Mozilla has ceased enhancements. But I still use it on my personal machine. For my business machine, I have to use Outlook.

I prefer Thunderbird. It's simple and reliable.

I would disagree with Maurice that TBird is a free version of Outlook. They do the same sort of things but very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I would disagree with Maurice that TBird is a free version of Outlook. They do the same sort of things but very differently.
    You people are taking my statement WAYYYY to literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    +1 on Thunderbird. It won't interface with a Microsoft Exchange server and I think Mozilla has ceased enhancements. But I still use it on my personal machine. For my business machine, I have to use Outlook.

I prefer Thunderbird. It's simple and reliable.

I have no experience or need but if I did, I'd investigate this:

http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

I guess Mozilla is relying on 3rd party extensions for enhancements.

I have also used TBird for years. It downloads my mail from my own domain(s) as well as yahoo,hotmail,gmail, and it learns what's junkmail as you identify it, and takes no effort at all to setup with just about any email provider free or otherwise. They didn't nickname the 'other one' "lookout express" for nothing
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it