Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Felder FB 610 Band Saw

New Felder FB 610 Band Saw

This week I drove to the Felder office in Delaware to pick up a new band saw I ordered. I wanted to both transport my new saw and take advantage of the opportunity to meet the folks at Felder. Because it was such a hectic round trip from Virginia to Delaware in a day I didn't get to spend any time with the Felder Staff but I hope to remedy that in the coming weeks.

The idea of a shop without a table saw has been discussed here many times and I have decided to give it a try. In order for me to give up my table saw I would have to have a pretty serious band saw that I felt could handle every aspect of the work I do in my shop. Like so many of you I have owned several band saws over the years starting with a small three wheel table top Craftsman to the 18" Jet band saw I have been using for several years now. Although I have been very happy with the Jet saw it doesn't have enough throat capacity to take the place of my table saw so I decided to upgrade.....hopefully for the last time. I should also mention that I have a panel saw that I use to break down sheet material, these days mostly long sheets of Corian.

My research here at The Creek led me to Felder based on the number of positive comments here. My second reason for selecting Felder is that they are a sponsor here and I believe that supporting our sponsors is in our best interests. After a long conversation with Rich Williams I decided on the FB 610 model, it is the largest saw in their product line that is 220 volt single phase and will fit in my garage door. The 610 has a five HP motor and a 22" by 30" table. The saw weighs in at about 800 pounds.

I picked the new band saw up on Wednesday and unloaded it by myself on Thursday. Friday I completed making all the adjustments and installed a plug on the cord. It was late when I started the saw for the first time, Jackie and I had scheduled to have dinner with Jim Becker and his family at 7pm so I only had a few minutes to run some test cuts. The first was a piece of scrap plywood and the second a piece of 1/2" Corian. Even with the stock OEM one inch blade the cuts were effortless and smoother that I ever expected. I hope to be able to give the new band saw a serious workout this weekend and provide more information about its performance, for now there isn't much more I can say except that my initial reaction to the new saw is WOW.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Wow, great purchase. I have had a little dealing with the Deleware Felder guys, and I was very impressed. I saw the bandsaws there and my impression is that they were in par with my 24" Agazanni. I've had my saw for a while, and believe me, you will become spoiled by the effortless performance of this class of machine.

I don't know too many things better than plugging in and running a new toy, especially when it's one that you've thought about and put away money for a while! I also don't know about not having a tablesaw in the shop, (I don't even like to do installs without one), but I am sure you'll get a LOT of good use out of that bandsaw

JeffD

Pretty and pretty impressive looking. I wish I had the room for such a saw. I'm sure this will make you smile every time you use it. Congrats!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

WOW indeed! Did it come with a Mobility kit?

Beautiful machine, congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Drool! Very nice piece of equipment.

Keith
    congrats on the BS . The folks and the showroom in Delaware are first rate - no doubt. Went three times last year putting the new shop together and was able to hook up and run equipment before loading. They even loaded our new 975 saw fully assembled - we unloaded and were running the next morning.
    thought I was alone cutting Corian on the BS and a machine such as that makes cutting the stuff almost enjoyable.

enjoy and post some solid surface picks would you?

glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    WOW indeed! Did it come with a Mobility kit?

Beautiful machine, congrats!
    Thanks,

Felder does offer a mobility kit for the band saw but I use the mini pallet jack you see in the pictures to move machines around when necessary. For now I will leave it on the wooden pieces until I can build something better. It seems strange to me but the saw table is very low, even on the blocks it is an inch lower then the Jet band saw table. I can only guess that if you were re-sawing a 16" board the height would seem appropriate but I don't expect to use that much re-saw capacity for sign work. On the blocks the table height is 37" from the floor which is pretty comfortable for my height. I just finished moving the band saw to a more permanent location if there is such a thing

Glenn,

No problem posting solid surface pictures. If you look closely at the first and last pictures you will see two full sheets of Corian one sheet is black and the other Pearl Gray. They are for a large sign I was supposed to start last week but I still have plenty of time to get it done.

I have re-sawed a lot of Corian over the years on the Jet saw but it is painfully slow. That is a test I will be doing this afternoon on the Felder.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I was waiting for this post!!

I called Felder a couple of days ago to order a Hammer A3 41 Jointer/Planer, and Jesse told me you were coming up to get a bandsaw! (He was trying to talk me out of the Laguna Italian LT20 I have on order.... I actually considered it, and who knows..I may go that route at some future date if I end up not being thrilled with the Laguna).

Someone mentioned Agazzani. I was told that Felder bandsaws are made by ACM, who also make the Laguna Italian saws. (This info also from Jesse).
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Frank,

Seems like good news travels faster than I do these days. I hope you will be as happy with your Laguna saw as I am with the Felder. Jesse was the guy who loaded my band saw and we had an opportunity to talk briefly. He and his wife just had a new baby and he was on his way to the hospital to visit so our conversation was cut short for a good reason

I have to admit that I am new to this style of band saw. I like the blade guides already as they were a snap to adjust. I can't figure out why the machined miter slot is not a standard size in fact it doesn't make sense to me that it is smaller.

Agree the guys/gals (Geoff/Beth) in Delaware are great to deal with, picked up a Hammer A3-31, N4400 and K3 48x48 in May, transaction went smoothly, loaded equipment in rental truck (with lift gate - required & pallet jack) then back to northeastern MD. been using the equipment ever since, very nice- love the table saw, joiner/planer is so quiet (spiral cut head) makes you wonder if it's operating correctly, very smooth cuts, takes a while to get use to the minimal sound levels when operating.
    regards
    Jim

Congratulations on your new purchase. That band saw is a beast. Now I'm jealous.

Thanks Gus,

I spent some time today working on the dust collection for the band saw. I should have it done tomorrow morning as I have to work around my shop schedule and a few home projects as well. This is a big saw, it wasn't until I got it home until I realized how big it really is........

Great looking bandsaw. I looked at that saw at the AWFS. You can tell its gonna be real nice for resawing ..