Thread: Carvex - which one

Carvex - which one

With a week to go till they are released, I'm undecided on the barrel or D handle carvex jig saw. I have experience with both types from bosch and wondering if people have a preference and why? I love the low held barrel but also equally as much variable speed to off of the d handle without having to move your hand while its still running?
    The barrel version does not have variable speed but seems more compact with the cord that flips up for tight spots. For fine detail work, scrolling does anyone have a preference and does anyone have first hand working with them.

thx Glenn

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I recently purchased the PSC420 (18V Cordless Barrel) in Germany with a 110V charger. I've been playing with it and absolutely LOVE it. My dealer there has a full Festool demo area and I also tried the D Handle corded. I felt much more comfortable doing sharp turns and curves with the barrel unit, and it seemed easier to view the blade with the barrel. I personally like the cordless for the reasons you mentioned regarding the cord issues. Much easier to work in a situation where you don't even have dust extraction connected. I've had no issues with power drain on the battery either. If you are sawing all day, then yeah, maybe without an additional battery, but for my uses, it's not even a concern.

Good luck with your choice.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

3. Well, one of the things that changed on the PS420 series is that the barrel of all 4 models is the same. (this was not the case on a Trion) The barrel is the same, the grip is the same, and they all have the left and right thumb switches on the barrel. So in my opinion, that makes the D-handle more flexible because you can use it either way. Plus the D-handle has a broader speed range at the low end--down to 1000 spm versus 1500 spm for the barrel grips.

The Supplemental Manual was released last week, so maybe it will give you some more insight into your decision.

Thx for the input - I actually tried the triton and didn't feel it was up to the festool par and sent it back. Mainly because I had a hard time seeing the blade- perhaps the light will change that. Would be nice to get the cordless version but Festool told me on Friday that there is no release date in the US. Frank - do you think there is a problem with the charger set up for foreign current? The battery looks the same? Would love to find a dealer for a demo, my Bosch is on its last leg so a decision will have to be soon for a upcoming project.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Glenn,

Surprisingly, my German dealer is able to order 110V items as well as their standard 240V. I got a new 110V charger for the 18V battery that came with the Carvex. It can be used in Germany at 220V with a transformer because it is rated for both 50hz and 60hz. It has a different part number than the TC3's currently being sold in the U.S., but I hear talk in the forums that Festool will be updating the chargers in the States, and I suspect I already have the new unit. In answer to your question, it is moot because I already have a charger that is made for the U.S. and 110V countries...using either 50hz or 60hz.

As an aside regarding cycles. I lived in Japan for many years, and they operate on 100V, but the real problem is that half the country uses 50hz, and the other half 60hz! Hence, most electrical products made in Japan will now work on either, and most have auto-switching for any voltage from 100-250V. Hope the Europeans do the same soon!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

6. As with any tool decision, you need to weigh the benefits based on how you will use the tool. That includes the decision between battery versus corded, or even what kind of battery when there is an option.

If you do a lot of portable work, the battery option is a great solution. The saw uses the same motor regardless whether it is corded or cordless. Just the electronics change.

However, if most of your work is not portable, then the corded will be the better option.
    • When using dust collection, the power cord will trigger the vac remotely. For a battery model, you need to turn the vac on manually.
    • If you already need power for the vac, then you already have power for the saw.
    • If you hardly ever use the tool (any Li-Ion tool) the battery has a limited shelf life even when never used. Unlike NiCd or NiMH, Li-Ion batteries have a lifespan that is based on age, not on charge cycles. That's OK if you have drills and can rotate the battery in your inventory to get the use out of it. But if the saw just sits on the shelf for a year at a time (like mine would), then you won't get very many uses before the battery begins to show its age.

On a more positive note, the jigsaw can use any of the Festool drill batteries, even those for the C12. The smaller batteries will drain faster than the 18V battery, but they will get you through in a pinch if you find your battery dead in the middle of a job.

Because I wrote the manual, I have all 4 models sitting in my office right now. Normally I keep any tool Festool sends me, but in this case, I don't need 4 jigsaws. So for the first time ever, I will be sending some of them back. I knew right away that I was going to keep the D-handle corded to replace the Trion that I loaned to my father. I am still on the fence as to whether I should also keep the barrel grip cordless just to have as a reference. As a reference for answering questions, it would be nice to have. But it bothers me to know that it will sit on a shelf unused for so long that the battery will be shot before I ever actually need to use it.

Frank and Rick- thank you both !! Rick, you poor slob... how do you obtain all four models ? Oh yeah... to write the manual, which by the way was well put together, eye opening and more informative than the folks on the 1 800 festool tech line. Am I to understand that the D handle has 3 switches - one left and one right on the barrel and another on the d handle - If so I think my decision is made ! FYI ,You don't need to send them back, perhaps I could send you a PM to send one here ? Frank, what a bummer to travel the world with your Festools in tow and thanks for the heads up on the cordless. I was looking for a dealer outside the US currently for the cordless but it seems cost prohibitive. We currently have C12s and the new C15s - eight battery's in all and could see the use for more with the new work light ( yeah its expensive ) but now that the eyes are 50+ the light never leaves my side. Absolutely priceless on a recent mosaic job in a poorly lit bathroom. I guess I'm going looking for demos even remotely close tomorrow Glenn