Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building an entry door (work in progress...)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Last time I saw that light it turned out to be a train......
    Amen. I've had that experience.

A few weeks ago we finally installed the entry door (it was a very difficult job for two, I figure the entry unit weighs easily around 4-500lb). It is stained, the weather strips installed and it is fully functional. It opens/closes beautifully with a nice tight gap all around. I just have to make some casings for the inside. There are a few pieces of stone that are to be installed by the installers.
    I'm quite happy with the final result of this project.

e98.jpge99.jpge100.jpg

Truly Magnificent!

Thank you Peter and all others who helped me with my questions along the way. That has been the most challenging project I have taken so far but it might last long as I've started curved railing for stairs!!

What Peter said!

WOW!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Could you please share some details on how you finished the door and what products you used? Thanks

It is General Finishes exterior stain (Red Mahogany) and their 450 top coat. All sprayed. Multiple coats of their top coat.
    Panels were finished before glue-up.

Very nice Mreza! Congratulations for a job well done!

Looks very nice!

FYI: the front door of our house was custom made by Peter Gillighan back in about 1991 for the previous owners. It's red honduran mahogany - real for the frame etc, and veneer over MDF for the panels. It is beautiful - the outside is largely protected from the weather, but still looks pretty good. See photos..

The renel art is from Woodwards - I got it from an edmonton estate sale - and the cravings are by a Haida guy in Victoria. Floors on both sides are mine.

One concern: mahogany is very soft. Our Alaskan Malamure very rarely scratches at the door, but my mother brings him cheese so when he hears her car we get scratches on the inside of the panel beside the door. Jatoba (with a little light oil) has different grain but much the same color, and can't be scratched by a mere 120 pound dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, mine is also Hunduras Mahogany and indeed it is very soft (first time for me working with it). But it machines nicely and has a warm tone to it.
    Given your door history, I hope mine lasts long enough too.