Thread: It's fixed---Help! Jet 13" planer/molder table won't raise

It's fixed---Help! Jet 13" planer/molder table won't raise

I've had this planer for approximately 10 years and not had any issues. Just recently the table has started binding when I try to raise it. It lowers just like it always has but once I turn the crank the other direction it gets very difficult to turn. I can raise it but am worried I'm putting so much stress on the crank/sprockets that ultimately something will break. I can make it easier to raise by picking up on the front of the planer bed but even that is getting more and more difficult.

I've read the manual and all it says to do is lubricate the guide posts. I've tried this with no success.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

In case you aren't familiar with this machine I've attached an image.
    Molder.jpg
    It's got two screws centered on either side of the cutter head and then the four corners of the table have bushings which slide up and down on round posts. I believe the binding is occurring on these posts but can't see any issues there.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Last edited by Wes Billups; 08-25-2013 at 7:57 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem!

CLean and lube the post and the chain, sprockets and bushings I used a PTFE Dry-lube spray. Freed mine right up It is now as smooth as it was when I bought it, about 18 years ago! It's as/more likely the chain than the post causing the problem.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 08-25-2013 at 4:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Agree if the chain gets sloppy or jumps a tooth on one post, binding is inevitable. My router lift uses a similar setup as does my larger planer. Irregularities on either led to the chain.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Got it fixed. Thanks Duane. I'd cleaned the posts without seeing any improvement. Four squirts of a silicone lubricant and it's back to as-good-as-new.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    Four squirts of a silicone lubricant
    Be careful. Silicone in a wood shop can lead to finishing problems. Use PTFE, NOT silicone!

Wes
    I have the same planner and it happen to me. I could lower it but not raise it so I sprayed it with WD-40 and that broke it loose and it's been fine ever since. After it's working freely I wipe it down and it's good for quite a while. And every now and than I spray it and clean it.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Potter; 08-25-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling