Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Auction Project?

School Auction Project?

Daughter's new school is probably going to have a fundraiser auction this school year based on discussion at the PTO kickoff meeting. I'd like to build something for it. Anyone make something in the past? Suggestions on what would do well?

Something people can carry away. Chess sets, boxes and cutting boards are what I've seen around here.

I've donated serving trays in the past and the they did well. Fairly easy to build and not too expensive - you may be able to use offcuts.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I did a blanket chest for my brother's cancer benefit. We sold raffle tickets for weeks before the event, and raffle tickets there too. We had single tickets for $5, five tickets for $20. Made right at $1,200. Takes more effort to print and sell the tickets, but folks didn't seem to mind spending the $5 for a good cause. Otherwise, I do a lot of little things. Small cutting boards, pepper mills, rolling pins, trivets, serving trays, small keepsake/jewelry boxes.

Over the years, I did a couple of small tables(1 sofa table and 1 end table) and a decorative box.

Jim

Cutting boards are very popular for charity auctions. I've made them out of all sorts of cutoffs and left-overs -flat grain, not end grain. Quick and easy to make. Strips of various colored woods get more attention. Smaller ones, say about 6 or 8"x 12" to be used as cheese boards or bar boards sell well because many people already have a big carving board. Easy to take home as an impulse buy and the small ones usually sell from $45 to $75 depending on visual impact and of course the crowd involved.
    Let the size of woods in your scrap pile determine final dimensions.

corn hole boards with school logo go over well

Custom Pens are always popular at schools. If you can make them in the school colors or have them engraved even better.

At the auctions I've supplied toilet toppers. I make them 20 wide 30 tall and 9" deep. I little crown molding at the top. You can do all kinds of things with the door, like a mirror. It does not take real long to build and the auction has got as much as $125. The other thing that I built is a cradle. I've done that twice. They have fetched upwards to $600. It goes well if someone in the audience is pregnant and they have their mother-in-law with them
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Blog Entries
    I made a 16" (Think American Girl) Doll trundle bed based on a picture in a catalog for a friend's grand daughter. I have been asked to make many more just like it. I have turned most of them down, but I have now just finished making 3 for my own grand daughters. Something like this would sell like hotcakes. I made all 3 of them in one day. They are pretty easy to make from 1/2" Baltic birch plywood. I think I probably have about $10 in each one. You can easily get $30, $40 or even more for them. The one in the American Girl catalog sells for $100. (think the bedding is extra too) It has a little more embellishment to it, like some simple routed outlining that I didn't do, but my version looks to be quite a bit sturdier than the $100 one. I don't have a picture but could provide one if you wanted.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 08-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    I would go either with a box like this cherry box 2.jpg or a wall rack for hanging quilts like this. quiltrack2.jpg. If you want to get fancy you could even sell the quilt rack and customize the length to suit the high bidders needs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've made some picture frames in the past. I made them from contrasting woods, and sized them to fit photographs, i.e. 5 X 7, 8 X 10, etc.
    Rick W

I've just completed my fifth benefit auction. School auctions seem to like things such as:
    [A] Cutting Boards.....such as 3 matching cutting boards [cheese size, small kitchen/sandwich board, lg kitchen/carving board] with matching wood & layout;
    [B] wooden holder for I-pads, & similar electronic devices;
    [C] keepsake boxes;
    [D] Wine Bottle racks for 8 to 20 bottles;
    [E] and the greatest item, Marshmallow Catapults. Kids go wild and parents always like to bring some home to the kids!
    Last edited by Ira Matheny; 08-26-2013 at 8:38 PM. Reason: diction

My former boss contributed a wooden music stand for their school's sale.
    Wood'N'Scout

My son is in his HS band and as fundraising chair for the music parents org (MPO), I decided to do something similar. I built a PIE-safe out of cherry and donated it. We took it to all the football games and other fund-raisers and I did 200 tickets at 10 a piece. At our last fund-raising event our spring pasta dinner, we pulled a name out of a hat. It went well I enjoyed it. The punched tin was from a firm in Lancaster PA and when they found out what it was for, gave me a good discount. It was fun and remember it's deductable.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzi3SCp