Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Veritas Shooting Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Gary -

No - we won't make a shooting board, there are boards already out there that this plane will fit. We will be releasing a track for planes to run in, and are working on a precision fence/head system that will allow people to make what they want.

Cheers -

Rob
    Hi Rob, if you don't mind sharing, will these be designed just to fit the shooting plane or will they be adaptable to any number of planes that might be used for shooting? Based on your description, I imagine the track would only fit the Shooting Plane, but the precision fence could be adapted to a number of planes?
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-28-2013 at 9:24 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Hi Gary -

No - we won't make a shooting board, there are boards already out there that this plane will fit. We will be releasing a track for planes to run in, and are working on a precision fence/head system that will allow people to make what they want.

Cheers -

Rob
    Placing my order. This is truly the best innovation in hand planes in quite some time. I love the style and thought that goes into LV planes. Well done! I think this is like a Dusenberg and the DX60 like a Ferrari.image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hi Rob, if you don't mind sharing, will these be designed just to fit the shooting plane or will they be adaptable to any number of planes that might be used for shooting? Based on your description, I imagine the track would only fit the Shooting Plane, but the precision fence could be adapted to a number of planes?
    Hi Chris!

The track should fit ours and Toms (I'll check that). There are two tapped holes on the "bottom" face of our shooting plane that will also ley you attach a plate sized to fit any track width you want, for other shooting boards of fixtures...

The head/fence unit is designed to be used on any board of your own making. Our focus here is a unit that you can adjust and zero after installation.

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Placing my order. This is truly the best innovation in hand planes in quite some time. I love the style and thought that goes into LV planes. Well done! I think this is like a Dusenberg and the DX60 like a Ferrari.image.jpg
    Malcolm -

I'll be sure to pass your comments to the designer... who will no doubt be insufferably pleased with himself for days......

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Chris!

The track should fit ours and Toms (I'll check that). There are two tapped holes on the "bottom" face of our shooting plane that will also ley you attach a plate sized to fit any track width you want, for other shooting boards of fixtures...

The head/fence unit is designed to be used on any board of your own making. Our focus here is a unit that you can adjust and zero after installation.

Cheers -

Rob
    Cool! Thanks for the info Rob. Always appreciated.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Has Rob or anyone at LV indicated that they're going to offer a corresponding shoot board?
    Gary -

I was remiss in not pointing this out....

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodw.../#.Uh8-hzvvux8

No financial interest here....just glad to see another small maker do well. I beleive Tico Vogt may have a solution too....

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Hi Chris!

Cheers -

Rob

AHA!!! That is what I was thinking when I saw it had threads. Cool. I ordered the plane yesterday. Keep us posted on how well they sell the first week. I suspect they will fly off the shelves. I noticed the day they came out two LN versions went up on eBay! Ha! Perhaps you have some converts already.

*** Not knocking LN and have given them plenty of love from the wallet.

I love seeing all the innovation that goes on at Veritas/Lee Valley. Now....about those tenon saws.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    The ramp of a shooting board doesn't skew the cut the same way a skewed blade does. The board holds the wood at a skew to the work allowing the blade to start the cut progressively, but it does not create a shearing cut and thus will not negate the shearing cut of a skewed blade regardless of the slopes direction....
    Makes sense. It's only something that struck me as odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Now....about those tenon saws.....
    Ask Derek, he's probably testing a couple as we speak....
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Naeger View Post
    Makes sense. It's only something that struck me as odd.
    Yeah, I can totally see what you meant and what Chris V is saying. Quite frankly I don't think I really understand the effect/difference between a skewed blade and skewing the work not mention the potential for them to cancel each other out. I completely see how a board that is ramped the exact opposite amount of the skewed blade would cause the it hit the work at 90 degrees, but I don't think that's the whole story. They still seem different to me. Its one of those things that if I'm really motivated to know I'll need to go carefully observe the similarities and differences myself. Doesn't really matter though..whatever works is good, and I'm not sure I want to bother closely examining the differences and potential cancelling effects. There are far better way for me to spend my time in the work shop (and I need to keep telling myself that or I'll just end up tinkering endlessly an accomplish even less than I already do. )

Thanks for the info Rob! That sounds like a great compromise. A lower cost but just as functional solution for everyone (manufacturer and customer) by offering the critical components to build a solid chute board. So....... available this year, next year, some time in the future? My LV shoot plane should show up Tuesday so I will be building a new board for it ASAP. Maybe I will not spend much time on its quality and bells and whistles if these components will be available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loran View Post
    Thanks for the info Rob! That sounds like a great compromise. A lower cost but just as functional solution for everyone (manufacturer and customer) by offering the critical components to build a solid chute board. So....... available this year, next year, some time in the future? My LV shoot plane should show up Tuesday so I will be building a new board for it ASAP. Maybe I will not spend much time on its quality and bells and whistles if these components will be available soon.
    Hi -

After my lousy batting average quoting delivery time on the tenon saw (now Nov?????) I am leery of estimating too early. Both track and head involve tooling - so they're still a couple of months away at absolute earliest. I'll be pushing the track quickly... the head will be several months, as it is still in the quoting stage.

Cheers -

Rob
    (who can confirm that the track design is adjustable for planes or plates 2" - 2 1/4" in width)

The point being made in itself isn't necessarily a bad one. E.G. does the plane meet the basic criteria of doing what it is designed to do (despite the fact that our buddy Charles, found a way to make such a simple question sound as critical as possible).

That said, at this point I'm quite comfident that both LN and LV planes will do this and in the rare occasion that a dud gets slipped past the goaly I also know either company would make it right. I can't speak for why Derek didn't include this, but given both companies reputations, I doubt that most potential buyers are really asking themselves whether or not is succeed at the most basic level...I for one have no interest in seeing a review where someone hold a square up to a light and pronounces the tool good. If there were an obvious basic problem I'm sure it would be corrected before the tool even went to market, so I'd much rather see an attempt at objectively describing differences in design/function/features that impact the subjective experience of the user. I thought Derek did a very good job of describing the difference in bedding, mouth adjustments, weight, centers of gravity, and how those things impact use experience. Those things are much more important to the potential buyer who already has confidence that both work on a basic level and is trying to figure out which will suit them best.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-29-2013 at 5:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    I think we got the point about PM steel from other reviews of yours. I don't see anything in this review of the new Lee Valley shooting plane that mentions whether or not the plane produced squared boards -- no photos of boards being tested for square, no verbiage to that effect. Can you explain why this was omitted? The review appears to be mostly a rehash of tests of various tool steels, or at least a good portion of it is. PM outlasted A2, B12, Vitamin C, yada, yada, yada.
    Mr Stanford,

Perhaps you could provide us with one of your reviews to show us how it should be done. I personally have enjoyed reviews by Derek (here and on his site) more than probably any other single source.

Derek,

Apologies from the norhern hemisphere and please continue to keep up the good work.

Best Regards,
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-29-2013 at 5:42 PM. Reason: edited inappropriate quote
    Gary