Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My dog attacked by a Pit Bull ... second time in a year

We went round and round on this the last time this subject came up. It's not about the number of bites, but the severity that some breeds can inflict. There are a lot of dogs that bite often and have low severity, but it wouldn't worry me to live next to them with small children.

Personally I would want more than a verbal OK from your neighbor that the dog has ALL his shots. I would want to see the veterinary reports. Rabies, distemper, bordatella,... what exactly are ALL the shots anyway.

As a responsible dog owner...former dog owner as we just had to put him down, RIP...I can say with some certainty that it would never cross my mind to wander around my neighbors yard with my dog, especially if I knew they owned their own dogs and hadn't properly been introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    (...)
    My guess is that the Son moved in with Mom because he couldn't find a place that would accept his dog.
    That's a SWAG, but insurance rates for rentals are based on the tenants and their pets.
    An interesting piece of information regarding insurance information:

http://money.msn.com/home-insurance/...le-up-insurers

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I think that people generally get these dogs due to feelings of inadequacy about themselves.
    Yes, quite likely the case.
    Also makes any resolution of the problem very difficult.
    Somebody is in denial, and it's not me.
    There is a local breeder of Visulas.
    Several years ago, one dog became unpredictable, bit her daughter, required stitches.
    The dog was euthanized immediately.
    There was no complex psychological need for a violent dog.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 08-28-2013 at 3:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    That link isn't working.
    It's here
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...p#mary-jo-hunt
    A real eye opener just to scroll through that page.
    Many of of the people who were mauled to death owned those Pit Bulls.
    Also, there is a tragic death of one Mary Jo Hunt (53 years old of Pembroke, NC)
    She was operating a Pit Bull Rescue from her house.
    Seven pit bulls in the house.
    They killed her.
    I think the common denominator for all these tragic deaths is that the breed is very unpredictable, and prone to massive violence.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 08-28-2013 at 2:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Did you call the police and animal control over this? What would have happened if the dog decided to attack you instead of your dog? Was it on a leash or roaming free?
    The pit bull was on a rope lead in the son's yard.
    I still have not called animal control.
    Weighing the options ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Kurban View Post
    Sorry to hear the predicament of your dog. When my dog was attacked or got into fights, the best way to separate fighting dogs is a water hose if there is any nearby. Or any water poured on them. Worked like a charm for me.
    Sal.
    thanks for the thoughts, but this is not about "dog fights", this is about pit bull attacks.
    Legislation in one state (I think it was Maryland), compares it to a shark attack.
    I've been reading up on it, offer this -
    Pit bulls were breed (designed) to fight with four broken legs.
    It's the killing machine of the dog world.
    Thanks, but a hose would be useless.
    Baseball bat - I have heard locally that it can work.
    The internet accounts indicate that Police use a hand gun.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 08-28-2013 at 2:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I totally agree. Some communities have totally banned pit bulls because unless they are extremely well trained they are overly protective and tend to attack, particularly other dogs near their turf. Call animal control and present your neighbors son with the vet bill as he is liable for the damage done by his dog.
    List of Pit bull restrictions in the U.S.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/56495216/E...-Pit-Bull-Laws

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    As a responsible dog owner...former dog owner as we just had to put him down, RIP...I can say with some certainty that it would never cross my mind to wander around my neighbors yard with my dog, especially if I knew they owned their own dogs and hadn't properly been introduced.
    Yes, good point, but as said, I was assured that the dog was a "total mush", and was "so old, he could hardly stand up"
    Also, we do live in the country, 6 acre yard. Somewhat informal.
    Until now, my dog was pretty free to roam.
    Now, he will barely go outside, shell-shocked, keeps worrying that the pit bull next door will get free and come over here.

Blog Entries
    Tom,

I'm really sorry to hear that your dog was attacked again. Really bad luck to have that happen to your dog a 2nd time. I hope the dog recovers well and is not ever attacked again.

If I were in your position I think I would contact the police or animal control. You never know, it might save another dog from being attacked. Or worse.

PHM

My question is why are you taking the dog over there when you see your neighbors dog out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    My question is why are you taking the dog over there when you see your neighbors dog out.
    Because my neighbor was insisting that the dog was a total "mush" would never hurt a fly.
    Same thing for his son, who owns the dog.
    And I did NOT see the dog outside (he was laying in a corner), and he neither growled nor barked before attacking.
    The reason I was walking over there (and holding my dog by the collar) was to give my neighbor a bag of sweet corn from the DWs garden.
    Old school stuff, maybe too old school. I guess those days are over.
    Saturday was the first time I had ever seen the dog, and hopefully the last.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 08-29-2013 at 2:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    List of Pit bull restrictions in the U.S.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/56495216/E...-Pit-Bull-Laws
    Been reading more about his "Pit bull culture"
    It really must be a cult, because I don't understand why these dogs aren't banned everywhere.
    Totally irrational.
    Check this out. Certainly meets or exceeds my definition of insanity.
    And these are the people fighting to prevent restrictions on Pit Bull ownership:
    Pregnant Pit Bull Advocate Fatally Attacked By Her Pit Bull

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...y-her-pit-bull
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 08-28-2013 at 3:52 PM.

Tom,
    I understand you are upset, but you need to keep an open mind. dogbite.org is not a true organization. It is run by one woman. Anyone can create a .org web site and make it look like something it's not. Pits are not the only dogs that bite. BSL & such propaganda is not the answer. Responsible dog ownership & education will prevent fewer incidents from happening. Most of the incidents that happen are due to irresponsible dog handling and lack of supervision. Do some good. Take some time and start reading about & understanding animal behavior & training, as well as animal aggression and preventing it. Read some books by Jean Donaldson, Turid Rugaas, Karen Pryor, Ian Dunbar, Pat Miller, Sheila Booth, Desmond Morris to name a few.

I have not read the previous post about the attack, but your posts lead to rational questions. Your dog has been attacked twice. Why did you bring your dog over when you had not personally met the new dog and assessed it's temperament? Why is a baseball bat a solution instead of a fence? If your dog was attacked on your property, why have you not protected your dog by fencing his area to prevent this from happening again? Why are you allowing your dog to roam free, unsupervised? While your dog is roaming, how do you know it is not harassing livestock, chasing kids on bikes, chasing riders on horseback, killing chickens or getting into people's garbage? Why is your property not fenced?

I am not saying this to attack you. I am hoping you will open your eyes and look at the big picture. I grew up in the country in the 19xx's and we let our dogs roam free while we spent all day miles away doing kid stuff. That's what you did back then. We are in 20xx now and times have changed. We carry doggy bags which do not involve restaurant leftovers that we plan to eat.

Take this latest attack as a learning experience. We teach our kids to never go up to a strange dog without permission from the owner. Why should we be any different as adults? Now it's time to teach ourselves how to be responsible dog owners.

My acreage perimeter is securely fenced to keep my animals in and predators out, but I can assure you if someone brings their unleashed dog on to my property, unannounced, they will be greeted with a nasty roar that won't be coming from the dogs. I'm not going to have anyone threaten or blame me because my horse injured their dog when it ran under the cross-fence into her pasture or my "pack" did what pack dogs do and surround a strange dog on their property to sniff it and a fight ensues.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."