Thread: Dust Collector for a Chop Saw

Dust Collector for a Chop Saw

This is my first post since removing 1“ from my ring and pinkie fingers. I am happy to say that I am doing much better.

I have moved into a new home with a separate garage and my first concern is dust collection. My 12”chop saw spews dust all over as most of them do. I am thinking of making a clear container with movable sides to allow for different sized lumber and a movable front to adjust to different miters. It will have a dust port under the saw and one centered in the back. I am considering lucite or acrylic although I really don't know the properties of either and want to find one that obviously won't shatter.

I would appreciate anyone poking holes in this idea or adding your thoughts.

Miter Box1.skp

Check out the "dust chuter" by Keen Products on Amazon. It is a flexible fabric that diverts the chips to the collection point. I've not used it, but it seems to work pretty well at least for chips.

Polycarbonite is much stronger than acrylic, though it is also less rigid. Just for fun I went at at an old pair of PC safety glasses with a hammer. They eventually shattered but took a amazing amount of abuse.

Wade, thanks for your test and your results on the polycarbonite. Ben, I also want to thank you for info on the dust chuter. I have Keen Products collector for my router table but didn't realize that they make a unit for the chop saw. I watched their video and it does look pretty impressive. Do you happen to own one?

Not constructed of clear material but could be adapted

The installation of a zero clearance fence will help with keeping off cuts from becoming missiles, he, he...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ion-for-a-SCMS

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer