Thread: Stand and dust collection for a SCMS

Stand and dust collection for a SCMS

Greetings,

I acquired a Dewalt SCMS late last year and have now decided to retire my radial arm saw.

Until now I've had the SCMS installed on a rolling/folding stand but it needs a permanent home with more features.

The design of the stand required work tables, good dust collection, space for two garbage barrels, my vacuum pump and storage for off cuts that are just a little too big to burn

Instead of your standard ply cabinet I decided to make it out of maple 2 x 2's, M&T, screwed but not glued. For the shelf and wing supports I used electrical conduit. All the legs are height adjustable.

The hood is simply 1/4" material glued and stapled to solid corner braces with a 1/2" ply bottom.

With the saw installed and the front open I performed some test cuts and found that fine dust would billow out about four inches at the top of the hood before being drawn back in.

A 4" strip of wood across the top front eliminated that but I still wanted to close in the sides in such a way as to be adjustable when cutting angles.

After considering various combinations of hinged panels I settled on two panels that simply hang off the front of the top of the hood and can be slide to the side to accomodate whatever opening is necessary.

All done, everything put back in place and ready to work..

Although the hood does appear to be quite deep the whole unit takes up roughly the same area as the radial arm saw that lived in that location.

Note that I removed the tube from the saw that is meant to connect to a shop vac. Dust collection is now upwards of 95%...

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Nice job, with a good design !
    MARK

Thanks Mark !
    Product Photographer

Finally got around to trying to video the dust collection.

The first two cuts illustrate the dust stream (with a too large opening).

The last cut is with the doors in normal operating position...

https://youtu.be/jQWSlUTz88k

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 09-03-2015 at 9:06 AM.
    Product Photographer

Need to something like this as well , thanks for sharing .

Thanks for commenting Thomas

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Blog Entries
    I made a similar hood for my RAS years ago. In my design I slit a piece of 4" PVC S&D pipe and designed a slot across the back at the bottom that had the same square inches as the 4" pipe so that dust would be sucked in evenly no matter what angle the saw was working at when cutting miters.

Your design is a bit more elaborate, it looks like it should work. Thanks for sharing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great ideal for dust collecting, thanks for sharing!

We were taught in ventilation engineering course to design hoods by totally enclosing the source and then remove only those panel parts that are necessary for operation. You have done that to the max. Congrats on the great execution.

David

Thanks for the comments Lee, Julian and David !

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

I built a thinwall plywood box with a tapered bottom leading to my 5" dust collection hose. I have added some front pieces to further restrict dust from getting out and I must say it does work very well. I am using a 12" single bevel DeWalt miter saw. I put a piece of screen at the bottom to catch any larger pieces of wood from heading down the chute into the ductwork. Randy

Product Photographer