Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions: Benchcrafted Criss Cross, or Traditional Glide Leg Vise?

Blog Entries
    I went with the chain for several reasons: 1) George is correct, guys with a little age on them and even older backs will go great lengths to get around bending that low 2) that cross thingy needs big slots in both the leg and vise Jaw 3) the cross puts a bunch of hardware in a not so great place IMHO 4) Dereck did the chain and it is hard to go wrong following him 4) Jim at Anchor Yacht has more if you care to call him, he is great to work with and provides excellent support.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 08-28-2013 at 9:43 PM.

Right now I can't even reach below my knee. Terrible back problem for 2 days now.

Blog Entries
    I hear you George. You should try slinging large dogs in the air on a bite sleeve with a bad back, ouch. You would think it would be easier to stop doing that kind of thing, but there is evidence that it isn't so we make allowances in other areas.

Maybe I could train attack chiuwawas.(How do you spell THAT???)

Chihuahua is the little dog of which you speak George.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Right now I can't even reach below my knee. Terrible back problem for 2 days now.
    It ain't the years, it's the miles...
    I hope you get a spell of decent weather and the wind at your back, George.

Doh! I realized I wrote that I replaced the glide with the glide.. Duh. I replaced the glide with the *crisscross*, and far prefer the crisscross. I wouldn't replace it for anything.. The past few nights I've been doing a lot of panel glue-ups, and it's made it so easy. Spin the wheel, drop both boards in there and spin it closed to edge joint them together. These are 4' long boards, no other support required. And the wheel action is so smooth, I can grab the boards with both hands and just bump the handle on the wheel with my knee to release them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt ONeill View Post
    I used the glide with the roller setup for about 2 years before I installed the glide. I far prefer the glide, and here's why:

If you *forget* to move the pin (which I often did) when clamping a thicker piece, the racking of the vise would then force the roller wheels out of position (chop wracks, forcing the parallel guide out of parallel). And with the glide wheel, it's easier then you think to apply a lot of force and move those wheels out of position. Then, of course, you need to loosen 4 bolts and get everything lined up again *just so*.

None of these issues with the criss cross. It's just as smooth, no tweaking. I'd argue that installation is easier as well.

Here's my two blog posts about installing it:

http://brokenfingerswoodworking.tumb.../smooth-action

http://brokenfingerswoodworking.tumb...04/criss-cross

- Matt