Thread: New Lathe to me

New Lathe to me

I have been looking for a Union Graduate that I could afford for about 15 years. I found this at HGR Industrial Surplus in Cleveland. If anyone finds a shot bed,tail stock or even a long bed for sell please let me know. The bed I have will work for a shot bed but is meant to be a sanding bed. I'm happy to have this much but hopefully I'll find the other pieces,without it taking another 15 year. Well this is going to start coming apart probable tomorrow I think I'm going to do allot of cleaning and maybe I'll do some painting.The bearings all fell tight but I'm going to need an inverter to run it cause it's 220v 3ph.
    DSCN0870.jpgDSCN0873.jpgDSCN0872.jpg
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

enjoy Harry

tell us a little about the lathes, how many models, how much, must not be still producing are they, looks like a mean machine

Always wanted a UG shortbed--you are lucky. A great design.

Charlie
    The lathe is built by Harrison Union- and is a Graduate,they also made a Jubilee.The Graduate was made from some where like 1944 to 1991.Theres a complete history if you Google Harrison Union Graduate. Oh ya it's a British lathe.The bed I have now is seat-up for 16" I think, there is a short bed and also a long bed that can come in 36"48"54" or something like that.These bed's are all seat at different heights depending on your seat-up. I pick this up for $400.00 the last one I seen for sale was $1500.00.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Harry,

Nice find. These are some of my favorite lathes. Just a really cool design.

Harry:

I just finished rebuilding one of these a few months ago. I have an operator handbook and parts list in PDF format. Has some pretty good cross sectional views, as well as brief instructions for belt replacement and bearing adjustment/replacement. If you're interested send me an email address and I'll sent it to you.

Richard