Thread: Spits ot the 'kool-aid' (between sips) in shock...

Spits ot the 'kool-aid' (between sips) in shock...

So over the last 4+ years I've become quite a Festool junkie. Acquiring what I deemed to be the most useful of their tools for what I planned to build in my shop.

Some of you may have seen my thread detailing my blunder in which I threw out ALL of my router bits and some other misc undisclosed items that I couldn't remember.

In modifying a guitar for a client, I soon realized what else I had thrown away. 2 of my 3 Festool OF-1400 collets. The 8mm (never used it) and the 1/4" (used it quite a bit). So I ordered another one. The 1/2" was in the systainer with the router at the time I threw the other stuff out. When the new collet arrived I realized I had accidentally ordered a other 1/2" collet. Doh!!! So then I returned it to get the 1/4". I went to use it, it fit my router, but the wrench that came with the OF-1400 DOES NOT FIT!!!

They changed the wrench size?!?! Why!?!? What the heck!!! TS bad enough I had to spend $60 (shipped) for a replacement collet, now I have to A. Order another Festool wrench. B. keep a other opened wrench in the systainer. C. Return this collet and search for another that uses the same wrench size.

What the heck Festool!?!? Geeze, I'm all for spending large sums of money to help me do things Faster, Easier, and Smarter, but there is no need to change stuff like this forcing people to buy even more Festool stuff.

I still love Festool. I'll keep buying what I need as I can justify the need. I just needed to rant on that for a minute.

Carry on.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Would seem like a drive to sears would be simplest.

Maybe Yoga, or meditation, is in order....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    forcing people to buy even more Festool stuff
    You've apparently misunderstood their entire business model. Oakley sunglasses or Harley-Davidson accessories anyone?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rant's are okay, as long as they contain useful info, Like the wrench size change. That kinda stinks.Changing a product for a better design is one thing, but changing one simply to facilitate increased market share sucks.
    Many years ago when I raced bikes, Shimano kept changing the design of their bottom bracket and hub cassette tool. The last straw for me was when their top of line Dura Ace bottom bracket required two different sockets to install it, at $38.00 each, and they were different than the the previous years design. I switched all my racing bikes to Campagnolo right after that. The same tool fit three generations of Campy, and two gruppo lines. Record and Chorus.
    I always thought that Festool's routers should be shipped with both a 1/4" and a 1/2" collet for the US Market. Most other manufacturer's include them both. (I have the OF 2200.)
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-30-2013 at 8:13 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Regarding Mike's comment- Festool does indeed ship their router with a 1/4", and a 1/2", and a 8mm collet. They all use the same wrench. At least this is true for the OF1400 machine. Now, they do use a different wrench, which they of course supply with the 700 router, and I'd imagine that to be the case for the other sizes. This is no different than the Porter Cable machines I have as well.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Regarding Mike's comment- Festool does indeed ship their router with a 1/4", and a 1/2", and a 8mm collet. They all use the same wrench. At least this is true for the OF1400 machine. Now, they do use a different wrench, which they of course supply with the 700 router, and I'd imagine that to be the case for the other sizes. This is no different than the Porter Cable machines I have as well.
    Peter
    I only received a 1/2" collet with my OF 2200, and had to purchase the 1/4" collet separately. At least the wrench was the same size though.
    Maybe I was supposed to receive more than one collet and didn't know it? It's a great router in my opinion, and the 1/4" was necessary only because I have a lot of router bits with 1/4" shanks.
    So far of the Festool products I own, the only one I was really disappointed with was the SysLite. It's actually my wife's, but I don't see the big deal personally. It's not anything spectacular, and I have better portables that are far brighter. It is what it is though,and she was happy with it. Now it's mine. I use it to take the dogs out at night to go to the bathroom. Still not bright enough by itself for that, so I take a flashlight.

Mike
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike, kinda surprised at the light. I think mine is quite bright enough for my tasks. I have plenty of not so thrilled opinions of some of their other tools- the 700 router is very limited in its depth adjustment, very small diameter capability, and absolutely no sight window during operation are just a couple on that tool. The jigsaw needing a teeny tiny Allen wrench to adjust jaws, and table angle is just terrible engineering, I could go on.........
    I think the large router is for just that , large routing, in their minds there is no need to use small bits in that machine. It would be nice if they would use a little forethought when designing and engineering their tools- include the collets, and accessories that would make the tool more valuable and useful to the end user.
    I am convinced that tool manufacturers in general turn a blind eye to the professional end user! It is quite obvious everywhere you look on almost any tool it's shortcomings that are a sure sign they just made the tool with no testing or input from a professional user, only the design engineer who probably will never pick a tool up.