Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My wife hates this lid, what do you think ??

Thomas, she said it more harshly !!! No kidding ! She hates it !
    MARK

She is right.

Since the lid overhangs all sides you do not need a knob of any kind, and certainly not one that introduces a new material like brass to the composition. Fix the fit problem as suggested with another inlay of some kind and use the knob some other day.

Too bright and shiny. How about turning a smaller one from walnut; I think same location would be fine. I wonder if our wives are sisters . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    I tried something different, a little bit "artsy". However, my inlays did not meet in perfect joints, so to cover up the error, I put the lid pull right in the junction.
    She said it's not in the center, it's not symmetrical, it looks terrible. Don't give this away, make a new top . . . she was riled up !

let me know what you think
    you don't need a knob. your wife is right ; make a new top. then everyone is happy. you are because you got it right and your wife is because you are not trying to cover it up. the other alternative is to repair or modify where you went wide. just make the inlay a little wider on the convergence so hat it looks as if that was the way that you planned it in the first place. that knob doesn't belong on therer
    ron

Hate to say it, your wife is right.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    Thomas, she said it more harshly !!! No kidding ! She hates it !
    Clearly, if she hates it like that, it's got to go.

Could you fashion a tab that looks like another branch in 3D ? In other words, drill another hole in the next junction up and make a maple fin with a walnut strip attached to the top so it looks like another branch coming out of the first junction in 3D and attach the maple strip with small screws or pins from underneath through the two holes. You might put a tapered walnut strip on the bottom edge of the maple strip too, to replace the existing section of branch you'd be covering up. I can't tell how thin the branches are, but it they are very thin, you'd have to use very tiny screws or pins. Maybe you could use a lot of them for firmness.

..Just an idea . . .

On the other hand, the box is beautiful. I like the maple bands of two different widths at the bottom and the maple corners. The walnut is gorgeous. Nice contrast in woods. The inside is very attractive, as well. Good job.

I'd go with no lid pull.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

You could carve an Emerald Ash Borer out of jade and the top could symbolize the tragic decimation of a species. Artsy and environmental.

Nobody argues with environmental.

Nice work, but I have to side with the brass needs to go crowd. But I'm not mad about it.

Larry