Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife hates this lid, what do you think ??

My wife hates this lid, what do you think ??

I tried something different, a little bit "artsy". However, my inlays did not meet in perfect joints, so to cover up the error, I put the lid pull right in the junction.
    She said it's not in the center, it's not symmetrical, it looks terrible. Don't give this away, make a new top . . . she was riled up !

let me know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

Jumping right in to the middle of your marital bliss - the lady is wrong! I like it the placement much better than if it had been centered.
    With the branch design it looks right - like a ladybug working its way down the branch. In the dead center would make no sense.

HOWEVER - how well does the lid lift? Wonder if you might need another ladybug...

Nice box.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I think she's right. Though since I don't know you as well as she does, I would probably beat around the bush a bit in my words...

I wonder if you could salvage it by going back and inlaying a few more pieces to cover things up? Maybe add some more branches, or some circles or things? (Inlay is really not my expertise.)
    "It's Not About You."

Would not have put a pull at all. Let the work show thru. Like Art mentioned could you Add something instead of the knob?
    other than that the box looks great, nice work.

I kinda agree with all . No knob, but maybe a fruit or bug. But not big enough to be interpreted as as a knob.

I'm afraid I agree with the posts before me. I'd fix the problem.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I like a little asymmetry when used as a design element so I'd keep the placement. I do agree that maybe something other than a brass knob might look a little better given the inlay.

I was thinking maybe a small carved knob shaped like a pine cone or acorn or something might look nice.

I have to agree with your wife. It looks like a cover up to me.
    The rest of the box is very nice.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well, happy wife. Happy life. But anyway think shes right.

Blog Entries
    Why not make paper cut outs to lay on the lid to see what looks better to her. I would that the knob off. You can optimize the design without destroying what you have.

I am ok with the knob. The lid is lite so the knob should work just fine.

However, I think an intarsia rose or leaf or flower would work better and of course take bit more work. Then put the knob towards the center front...or just put a lift tab of ebony or whatever at the front edge of the lid.

Just some ideas.

Over all, I really like the "artsy" additions.

The placement of the knob isn't the problem. The fact that it's shiny metal and draws attention to itself is the issue. I think it would look out of place even if it was centered.

+1 - if it was matching to the inlays, it would look fine.

I'm wondering if you'll need to counterweight the lid so it's balanced at that point.
    (There's a lot of lid to the right of the pull.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    I tried something different, a little bit "artsy". However, my inlays did not meet in perfect joints, so to cover up the error, I put the lid pull right in the junction.
    She said it's not in the center, it's not symmetrical, it looks terrible. Don't give this away, make a new top . . . she was riled up !

let me know what you think
    I think a strategically placed Lady Bug would solve the issue, do away with the knob .... though easy for me to say.

Tim

What Tim b said.
    i hope your wife did not say it as harshly as you wrote it!