Thread: Overhead Dust Collection Drops and Garage doors

Overhead Dust Collection Drops and Garage doors

All

I am the process of re-arranging my 2-car garage shop to accomodate a new cyclone (most likely a clearvue). One of the biggest changes I expect is the use of permanent ducting vs 4" flex hose. Although we never park the cars in the garage, a third of the overhead space requires clearance for the garage door (we do need to open it a couple times a week). Ideally, I'd like to place drops in this area to minimize the amount of flex hose running along the floor, but obviously permanent ducting is out.

I'm wondering what kind of clever solutions you guys have done in this situation...

Andy

Change to swing-out doors. Don't laugh. You can build the doors, so the out-of-pocket expense is only the cost of materials.

Run the duct just below the level of the open door. Door still opens, and duct work stays in place.

+1 on Bruce's approach. A 1x4 or 2x4 laid flat (or a piece of angle iron) and connected between the garage door roller tracks works wonders. As a side note you can then use this path to run air hose / piping or shop vac hose / piping.

If needed you can place several of these across beneath the rails and let your ductwork turn 90* and run perpendicular to the supports if you have tool drops mid-door.

It's easy to do and is easy to disassemble / move if you later wish to make changes or remove it if at some time you need the headroom in the garage. One option is to use c-clamps to hold the board to the track.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I need to be able to move vehicles into my garage/shop so I made several "trees" that attach to down drops that terminate near the OH door. They connect with a short piece of flex hose to a coupling collar. I placed gates at the down drops to close them off if not connected. It gives me plenty of flexibility. The trees stand on a home made floor sweep and will stand upright on their own, but they are tipsy if not attached overhead.
    IMGP5279.JPGIMGP5282[1].JPGIMGP5399[1].JPGIMGP6127.jpgIMGP3631[1].JPG
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-03-2013 at 9:52 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I need to be able to move vehicles into my garage/shop so I made several "trees" that attach to down drops that terminate near the OH door...
    Now that is sweet!