Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-8 thumb hole ripper (gloat) & question

Thanks guys. Its to late for this go around but I filed the rip saw all from one side. I figured with a rip saw this wasn't a factor (I know with a cross cut it is always file towards toe, alternate tooth right?) cause there is no fleam, right? Did I Jack it up?

I file my saws all from the same side.

Do you put fleam into your crosscut saws?

Yes. I don't have any crosscuts bigger than 7 points, or it might get hairy. For the teeth facing toward me, I probably file two strokes for every one where the tooth is facing away. Whatever it takes to get a good even sized set of teeth that are even height and even fleam (actually, even fleam isn't critical, try to do as well as you can, there is some wiggle room - even height is the most important aspect along with a good even set). You can do it any way you want to as long as you get the results you want.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-04-2013 at 8:21 AM.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    As David said, as long as you get the results you want, it doesn't matter how you do it.

I get too confused to do it all from the same side with a crosscut. If any fleam at all is being added to a rip saw it gets flipped for the filing.

It did throw me the first time filing a rip saw from one side. The filing burrs were all on one side and made the saw wonder more than expected. A little work with a stone took that down.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)