Thread: spoke shave

spoke shave

it's that time when my wife will ask about Christmas. I'd like a spoke shave that will get close in round curves. Woodjoys got the classic cigar type, Dave's shaves has a compass. the vintage eBay cigar is not an option. anyone use these with success or are they just too fussy.

Have never tried either, but did try the Lie-Nielsen wooden shave when I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Liked it, but it was definitely more finicky than the other Lie-Nielsen shaves. I asked Deneb Puchalski about it and about altering the geometry of the brass shaves instead of getting the wooden one. His comment was something like, "It's a tool. Don't be afraid to modify it to make it do what you want it to do." The radius on my curved bottom shave is only 1-1/2", but I will take Deneb's advice and use a file to make it even smaller. I also plan to do the same when I get the Boggs curved shave. That's a great plane, but the sole radius is a little big. I just think the metal shaves are much easier to set and use and will just use a file to re-shape the radius of the sole.

The Lee-Valley (Veritas) shaves are ductile iron, so I have no idea if you can shape those soles as readily as you can with the Lie-Nielsen brass soles.

Steve

Blog Entries
    My spoke shaves are all old Stanley models.

For getting tight in to corners my #63 has its limits. It isn't just the sole's radius preventing this. The blade length and bedding angle also restrict how tight of radius before the top of the blade becomes a factor.

Spoke shaves in general can be a bit fussy. They take a little getting used to in adjusting and use. Curved work is just another challenge.

You might email the two makers to see if they can tell you the sole's radius.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use a vintage cigar shave to get into really tight radii. It certainly can be finicky to use on long fair curves but is the only tool that can get in there. I have a slight spokeshave addiction and just love the tool for some reason or another. This is a picture of some of the shaves I've collected. There a couple more kicking around and I just picked up a low angle vintage shave last night that uses the tangs in the body. It was in the best shape I've seen for this type of shave. The blade does need some work. The low angle version is where my collection lacks and wish I had a few more good ones from Daves shaves or Woodjoy. If you need to get into really tight radii then go ahead and get the cigar shave, they are nice for that purpose. But the more gradual radius soled shave is easier to use for sure.

spokeshave group.jpg

John, I really enjoy using spoke shaves. When working with the grain, or close to it - the process is reminiscent of the best part of whittling a pointed stick. All you need to do is tune it up and learn how to manage the angle of attack between the blade and the wood. However, when working across the grain, they can be persnickety. It is far more difficult to get and keep the blade at the correct angle to the changing contour of the work piece. Complicating that, when you are in a tight radius, you wind up with all sorts of grain issues to manage. So I want to give you a fallback option... I find rasps easier and more effective in many situations with a tight radius. Even sandpaper on a dowel can yield faster, better results. Having said that, I still enjoy using spoke shaves. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My spoke shaves are all old Stanley models.

For getting tight in to corners my #63 has its limits. It isn't just the sole's radius preventing this. The blade length and bedding angle also restrict how tight of radius before the top of the blade becomes a factor.
    Jim, good point, but how tight of a radius can you realistically use a spokeshave for? The L-N small brass is 1-1/2". I never measured, but am guessing that my MF cigar shave is probably 1/2". Big difference, but since I have never gotten the cigar shave to work properly it doesn't matter. I also have the Lee Valley contour planes, which will get into pretty small corners, But, because of the switch in grain direction, I am wondering if there are better tools than a spokeshave for a really tight curves. I am fine using a rasp and a spoon carving knife for anything that radical.

Just wondering if the low angle wooden spokeshaves are worth the effort.

Steve

I have 2 of the Millers Falls #1 cigar shaves and love them. Yes, they are finicky to both sharpen and use but with some practice you learn how to do it. To sharpen the blade make a holding fixture with a piece of scrap stock the width of the blade slotted at one end. Drill a hole centered on the slot about half an inch back from the edge and use a bolt and wing nut to tighten on the butt of the blade. The blade is so small that trying to hold it in your hand to sharpen is an exercise in frustration.

I agree with Steve. The small radius of the cigar shave is the only way to get into tight curves. It works really well on the concave curve above the foot on a cabriole leg. As for the tools from Woodjoy made by Glenn Livingston, great stuff. I've known Glenn for almost 20 years and everything he makes works as advertised and is of the finest quality. If he says something, you can take it to the bank.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have the woodjoy circular shave. I can't remember why I got it, it was probably on sale somewhere. It's a nicely made tool that does exactly what it's supposed to do (which is exactly what you want with small radius tools) and it's not terribly hard to sharpen.

David, the Woodjoy shave and blade is a better and more modern design than the curved balde on the MF#1. Glenn took into account how hard it was to hold and sharpen the #1. If I didn't already have the cigar shaves I would have bought one of his.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Some time ago, I tried making my own spokeshave to get into tight corners here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hed&highlight= but I'm sure it cannot compete with the cigar type shaves as far as a tight radius is concerned. I have always been tempted to try the Woodjoy brass spokeshave or make something similar to the MF #1.

Blog Entries
    I was searching old spokeshave threads and found this. I thought I would update the info. for the next searcher.

Glenn at Woodjoy Tools makes a spokeshave with a reversible bottom piece, called The Master. One side of the bottom is flat and the other side is curved/compass. The compass side is especially designed to get into tight corners. The Master won a Fine Woodworking Tool Test as Best Overall of their selection of better spokeshaves at that time. Think of it as an enhanced version of the popular Veritas Low-Angle spokeshave. Glenn uses small low profile screw jacks instead of the larger thumb screws most other makers use. The lower profile adjustment screws help with gripping and getting into tight places. Glenn uses A2 steel blades, he makes himself, that are thicker and tougher than other makers use, less chatter. I have his #85 spokeshave (also a very versatile tool) and he just finished and mailed me The Master and an 8" drawknife. They will all see heavy use at the Peter Galbert Make a Continuous Arm Windsor Chair seminar I am tooling up for.

I will post more info. when I get the tools, soon.