Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else here not a huge fan of woodcraft?

I LIKE the people in the Woodcraft store. I just don't like some of the cheap products they sell. I even bought a SawStop from them,as well as a 18" Jet bandsaw(Which I later GAVE AWAY to the Millwork Shop in the museum.) Silly thing was VERY flexible unless all 4 feet were tight against the floor. If I leaned on the upper housing a LITTLE,the blade would come 1/4" out of the guides. The guides were those obnoxious European type,where it is a HUGE pain to try to lubricate the lower guide bearings. Plus,they just seemed in my way all the time. I wasted more money on Carter bearings and still just could not do the quality of work I could do with the old,but excellent 20" Delta we had for many years.

But,these things are not Woodcraft's fault.They have to sell what they can get. And,if they bought higher end machinery,likely no one could afford it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-06-2013 at 6:38 AM.

I rather like my local Woodcraft. They have quite a bit of stuff and are super nice (at least my store is). Only local place I know of to get General Finishes, sometimes they have decent sales (got some Bessey 3/4inch H pipe clamps for $12 each). You just have to know what you're looking for and know what a reasonable price is. Will I ever buy a large amount of lumber there for a project? No, but if I want some purpleheart or zebrawood for a small accent I probably would. It's just like anything else, you have to know it's strengths and use them. For me, they are a decent source for finishing products, some sale items, and small quantities of exotic wood species. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

If more of our stores were like Ken's (when a store delivers something for you, it's pretty convincing), we'd probably have better opinions. I guess that's the nature of the franchise type system.

There is a local super-pro saw shop here (as in, they specialize in stuff that production places would use), but they do have some user grade tools. They're not always the very cheapest, but they're usually competitive, and sometimes they have stuff cheaper than you can get it anywhere else if they decide they want to unload it. Back in about 2008 maybe, I went to them and bought an 18 inch jet BS when jet finally put cast iron wheels and trunnions their saws, and they had it $150 cheaper than amazon because they had two and only wanted to have one on the floor. It almost fit into the vehicle I had that day, and when it didn't, without asking, the owner whipped his truck around and helped us load it, followed us back to my house and helped us unload it.

Our rockler floor is friendly and courteous, it's just gotten harder to find anything good there in the last 5 years as they have really gone head over heels with the plastic jig type stuff and small turning bits (precut blanks, pen kits, etc) and even the latter is often double the price it would be on ebay. Their lumber is high (but not woodcraft high) and I have trouble finding much in the selection, though they get in pallets of hardwoods sometimes, it's usually stuff that's s3s and not very good color. Just the way it is, I guess.

Blog Entries
    We have a good local Woodcraft in Leesburg, VA. The staff is pleasant and knowledgeable.

The store seems to be well stocked. I've found their pricing can be beaten pretty easily but the store is handy to have around. I support the store as much as I can.

There's a Rockler store (and Powermatic/Jet Service Center) about 50 miles from me in Winchester, VA. Really nice people there too.

PHM

I like our local W/C. They are excellent people. I have to add that we don't have a LV or Rockler, so they are all we got. I actually feel sorry for you folks that have a LV or Rockler nearby. The W/C sucks a lot of money out of my wallet already. I'd be really broke if there were a LV and Rockler nearby.

I wish there were an LV store nearby. I'm sure we could find some empty retail space north of Pittsburgh. How about it Rob? Swing by the local store, stop downtown, put on a Pens jersey and catch a game with Tony Z?

I've personally never bought anything from them online and the closest store is almost 4hrs away. My closest Rockler is 3.5hrs away. Yes I do live in the sticks, happily at that. I do wish there were more woodworking stores locally though. I have been in the Rockler once and don't hate the store but typically never walk out with much of anything, prices are staggering. But if I need a small special piece of wood real quick I may be willing to pay their price if that option was existent. Unfortunately I am stuck with the internet for those odd pieces or wood, or Craiglist to find that special wood hoarder. I have come across 2 on Craigslist that I keep in my back pocket.

I can't complain too much as Lie Nielsen is about 1.5hrs from me, they see a lot of my salary for the year. I'm not a big fan of big corporations but some options in this area would be a welcome sight. Sorry for being a little off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I wish there were an LV store nearby. I'm sure we could find some empty retail space north of Pittsburgh. How about it Rob? Swing by the local store, stop downtown, put on a Pens jersey and catch a game with Tony Z?
    We've had standing invitations for years for Rob to come to Pittsburgh and me to go to Ottawa. I think a store somewhere in NW PA would be the best location for the first LV store in the states.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ponik View Post
    I rather like my local Woodcraft. They have quite a bit of stuff and are super nice (at least my store is). Only local place I know of to get General Finishes, sometimes they have decent sales (got some Bessey 3/4inch H pipe clamps for $12 each). You just have to know what you're looking for and know what a reasonable price is. Will I ever buy a large amount of lumber there for a project? No, but if I want some purpleheart or zebrawood for a small accent I probably would. It's just like anything else, you have to know it's strengths and use them. For me, they are a decent source for finishing products, some sale items, and small quantities of exotic wood species. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
    Same here, plus they're only a long walk from home, maybe a bit over a mile. The main stuff I really like are the finishing supplies, lots of dyes, too. Handy to not have to ship that stuff.

The Woodcraft franchise model is unsustainable - the home office demands a maintenance fee and sells direct to the same customers.
    It's impossible to stay open when your top tier of management is skimming sales.

There's one open now, near Boston - but I think it's mainly for Pen turners and those in a pinch for finer hardware.
    I give it 18 months, at the outside. There's better selection from purveyors like Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen.

Given that their hardwood selection is typically 20 -30% higher than a quality lumberyard, there's little reason
    for me to darken their door.

We're very fortunate to have a great Woodcraft in Atlanta. The owner is passionate about woodworking in general, as well as promoting period and high quality hand tools. He's got it all, from Festool, Sawstop, etc. to Lie Nielsen and Chris Vesper tools. He even stocks Patrick Edwards Old Brown Glue! Great classes, great classroom, top notch employees and typically well inventoried. No complaints here.

Blog Entries
    I don't know Norb I think Jim may have his finger on a problem within Woodcraft management. Woodcraft Atlanta does have some good people and even some good tools but every time I have needed help at a managerial level I have had problems. I bought a Laguna L14-SUV from them and found the experience less than it should have been.

I almost ordered the saw from Laguna because they offered a better deal, just on their web site. It was like pulling teeth to get someone in Woodcraft management to just sort of honor what Laguna says they do on the web site. Then they nocked a part off the saw wheeling it out to the loading dock or putting it in my truck one. The part was on in the store but gone when I took it off my truck. The saw was not usable without the part. They fritzed around with the problem for over a week until I started asking about just returning the saw. Then they had the wrong part shipped to me. I called Laguna and got it worked out myself. Laguna was eager to get my saw in working order, Woodcraft not so much. It seemed to me that Woodcraft people were hiding their heads in the sand when the issue moved out of the local store.

Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood, Tools from Japan and my friends just down the road at Highland Woodworking, all always seem to go beyond the call of duty.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 09-05-2013 at 10:37 PM.

I live within walking distance of my local, and the people are nice, and it seems like a great place to buy router bits and pen blanks. The hand tool selection is uninspiring. On the other hand, the day I finally checked my combination square and found it a 32nd out of square, I just walked up there and bought a Starett. On the Other other hand, I paid $15 more (plus tax, minus shipping) than I would have from Lee Valley.

I just posted in a different thread that I got some Woodcraft gift certificates, and I really don't know what to use them for. Finish, glue, sandpaper, but not hand tools. OK, I do need some card scrapers.

+1 for mcfeelys.

I buy from WC online and have had good results. Ive started buying from LV when they have a similar item or a better item that costs marginally more. Had a return. Got the same great service you folks have repeatedly described here.

Fred

Blog Entries
    The Woodcraft near me is excellent. I patronize them for day to day supplies and various consumables. He also tracks down interesting lumber from urban forestors. The employees are educated and informed. They have good classes taught by skilled people. I have never bought from the online woodcraft.

I get hand tools from LV or LN.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"