Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else here not a huge fan of woodcraft?

Blog Entries
    Dave makes a good point. Still, I think we have to "judge" companies against their competitors. Companies like Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood and Highland Woodworking set the bar very high. Certainly those three companies are one store businesses which gives them some advantages. It is certainly harder to maintain the same level of service when you add additional levels of management, dare we say bureaucracy, required to run chain type stores.

I generally prefer to support the smaller operations like Tools From Japan where there is a person that is more service oriented who also provides more targeted solutions to my tool needs. Like others have said, I buy smaller items infrequently at the chain stores, especially since I had issues with the one large tool purchase I made at a chain store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    (snip)....... Certainly those three companies are one store businesses which gives them some advantages. (Snip)
    Ummmm....15 stores, three shipping warehouses, and a manufacturing operation here.....just a tad different from a one store operation....

About 800 FT staff....

Cheers,

Rob

I rather like my local woodcraft. Lee is the manager and is there every time I go in. They do free weekly seminars on a variety of topics...September is all hand planes: Handplanes 101, Handplane usage, plane sharpening, etc. While I agree that their selection of handtools is limited, I like supporting them because I know they're there when I need them in a pinch when in the middle of a project. I bought a bandsaw from them earlier this year after spending a couple hours talking with Lee about shop set up, etc. For somebody who is doing all their WW learning from books, internet, and trial and error, its great to be able to walk in to their store and discuss a problem with a tool or a project. If we don't support them they won't be there when you need them. I'll pay a small premium on some items for piece of mind.

Blog Entries
    I don't mind them, they've always provided what I've ordered in a timely fashion. However, I always give the nod to small shops like Blue Spruce or specialized shops like Lie-Nielsen since I prefer to acknowledge the savoir-faire of a small shop. I am an individual maker and appreciate those who acknowledge the experience of a commission over immediate satisfaction. I do the same when I can.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Rob, It looks like one store from my computer. I obviously never hit the store locations button. More of a compliment that the service is as good or better than single stores. I doubt that is by accident.

you have to admit, Woodcraft has a wall full of Pfiel carving tools and a big block of wood you can try them out on. guess pilferage is a bigger issue in Canada since you sure can't do that at Lee Valley in Toronto. Woodcraft rifflers are a joke compared to the ones from TFWW. I'm saving to go to France so I can't afford the french ones.

Woodcraft rifflers are among the cheap Chinese stuff they sell. Time was,I bought a set of 12 Italian made decent rifflers from them.

As a guitar maker I buy wood from Maurice Condon Boat Lumber C. in White Plains,New York,International Violin Co. in Baltimore.

I haven't had to buy wood lately as I could get it from the museum,and don't often build furniture anyway.

There is Waterfront Lumber Co. all the way down to the water in Newport News,and through a bad neighborhood. I haven't been there for some time,but they used to have a decent selection of hardwoods. I have accumulated so much wood,I don't need to go buy any,unless I embark on a special piece of furniture,which isn't likely right now.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-07-2013 at 7:53 PM.

George,

You know that Yukon Lumber is in Norfolk Virginia. They normally carry a fair amount of lumber in a wide selection of species.
    Right in your back yard is Earth Resources in Grafton Virginia which is a small Mom and Pop type of business.
    -----------------

Its not a secret that I am not a fan of WoodCraft Corporate, I really like the owner and the staff of the WoodCraft Store in Norfolk and I visit this store when I am in the area but I won't order anything from their corporate web site.

Keith,I had forgotten about Yukon. Several years ago I quit going there due to the attitude of the owner and his wife. They had a shipment of "Brazilian rosewood" which definitely was NOT B.R.. Her know it all attitude over that wood,and several other issues started putting me off. I felt like they were trying to rip everyone off.I have used Brazilian since at least 1957 on guitars,and I know it very well.

I'll have to check out Grafton.

Now that I think of it,we have a friend who has a lumber yard and sawmill in Providence Forge. Called "Museum Resources". He specializes in custom sawing lumber in colonial sizes and species for museums rebuilding buildings. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Just a lot of strain on me at home right now. He has hard maple,and lots of other good wood. Not into the exotics as far as I know. The last thing we bought from him was some 2" maple. We had to make some saddle trees for the harness maker's shop. They couldn't buy authentic 18th. C. style trees.

The museum had a large quantity of wood in the warehouse,so we didn't have to worry about outside sources very much. We sawed 5000 BF of beech wood ourselves,which most tools were made from.

My friend and co worker Jon has tractor trailers he hides in his 100 acres. He saws up trees given to him after storms around here. A lot of walnut,especial stock blanks. I gave him a 32" dia. poplar I had to have cut down. Looming over my house. That'l make some nice 6 board chests!! He lets it air dry in the trailers. Believe it or not,he has gotten tractor truck trailers for $250.00! Their tires were worth more than that!
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-08-2013 at 9:54 AM.

George,

I have purchased a lot of 5/4 cherry from Earth Resources in Grafton for signs at CNU.

Earth Resources
    409 Railway Rd.
    Grafton VA. 23692
    757-898-0045

Call before you visit, the guy sells lumber from a lumber shed at his home for his son in North Carolina. He is a retired guy and very friendly.

Yukon has a reputation but I have had pretty good luck buying poplar and some other species from them. I try to deal with the sales guys when I can as they will walk you though the lumber storage areas and are generally pretty friendly. I'm pretty sure Yukon is the largest lumber yard in our area and although I don't like driving to the other side of Hampton Roads I will if I have to in off peak traffic hours.

Keith,what was the BF cost of the cherry?

George,

I can't remember the price but I will see if I can find a receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Woodcraft rifflers are among the cheap Chinese stuff they sell. Time was,I bought a set of 12 Italian made decent rifflers from them.
    I bought Italian riflers from them too...probably the same set. I think they came in a grey plastic sleeve. They were uncharacteristically expensive compared to some of the other stuff they had, though less than you'd expect to pay for quality riflers, and they are very nice. I snatched them up as soon as I saw them and had a chance to examine them for a minute.

Unfortunately, Woodcraft's quality profile is schizophrenic. Some of what they carry is overpriced garbage....some of it is properly priced garbage (hey, if you spend $20 on a set of 500 drill bits that are perpetually on sale, you deserve what you get). Some of it is properly priced, high quality tools. Pfeil tools come to mind...great tools at a good price. It's a shame because it dilutes the brand and makes you really scratch your head when you're buying something. Is it good? Will it work? I wish they would just decide on some sort of brand identity and stick to it.

Anyhow, as to the original question, I'm a big fan of Woodcraft. If not for them, my only option would be the BORG, and that's practically no option for anything except some Jorgensen clamps. My local Woodcraft is filled with very knowledgeable staff....I used to be one of them before my own business started to take up my time full time. Before that, I was just another customer and they always went well out of their way to help me out and work with me. Most of the stores are independently owned, so I guess there's variability in service and knowledge, but mine is top notch in every respect, from the owner on down. I wish they were a bit more like Lee Valley, eh, but Lee Valley is able to operate retail stores in a country where more people appreciate quality products and maybe some other advantages. I'm just happy that the local Woodcrafts are able to stay afloat however they have to do it.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 09-09-2013 at 12:54 AM.

The WoodCraft store in Norfolk is a privately owned franchise. As John mentioned the Owner and the Staff of the Norfolk store are friendly and knowledgeable AND they will leave you alone when you just want to browse the store. I pretty much stay away from their lumber section, the prices are a bit out of my league and more specifically above my level of woodworking talent. I tend to stay with local species like maple, walnut, red and white oak, cherry and I order red alder every now and then for engraving plaques. I use Corian for most of my sign jobs but there are occasions when I turn pens from exotic wood species. The majority of the exotic pen blanks I receive from Members of The Creek that are donated to the Freedom Pens Project.

I recently made my first purchase from Lee Valley. I ordered several items and was impressed with the quality of every piece, plus they are an advertiser here and I believe in supporting our sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I pretty much stay away from their lumber section, the prices are a bit out of my league and more specifically above my level of woodworking talent. I tend to stay with local species like maple, walnut, red and white oak, cherry and I order red alder every now and then for engraving plaques.
    That's variable from store to store too. Individual owners have quite a bit of discretion re: what to bring in from outside sources. My local WC actually stocks a good amount of lumber that is sourced locally...not those little surfaced boards and turning blocks, but actual large pieces of rough lumber. Their lumber is actually priced to BEAT the local lumber yards 90% of the time, believe it or not. Sometimes, he runs absolutely ridiculous specials. For example, he got a great deal on a ton of cherry, and he blew out the entire lot for $2.99/bf. I tell everyone to check our local WC first when looking for lumber because the prices are so good.