Thread: Reversible Marquetry Boxes and a Dramatic Animation

Reversible Marquetry Boxes and a Dramatic Animation

3-DSC04949.jpg4-DSC04950.jpg5-DSC04951.jpg6-DSC04952.jpg1-DSC04947.jpg

A couple of years ago I built a reversible marquetry box. It was, as many of my projects are, a prototype to see if I could do it and as such was a little rough around the edges. These four may not be a lot better but they were built to a schedule.

In my neck of the woods if you hold out any hope to sell the things you make they better be ….. let’s say inexpensive. With that in mind, I set out to see how quickly I could make passable reversible boxes making use of Boulle style to cut multiple sets of marquetry at once. They took 22 hours, complete (5 1/2 hours each). (There are 32 separate marquetry motifs in the four boxes.)

As for the motifs, I have always thought that the Yin Yang symbol was made for Boulle style, representing as it does opposing but complementary forces. It also perfectly suits a reversible box. The anthemion is a classic and a favorite of mine for the wonderful way it comes to life when sand shaded and the front heart and ribbon was just something I sketched up.

To improve the strength of my signature integral hinge I replaced the 1/8” hinge pin with a 1/16” pin and cut the rebate for the pin with a 1/16” thin kerf circular saw blade. I also have the grain oriented along the faces of the sides at right angles to the hinge pin. This makes for a sturdier unit.

The photos show the four boxes, close ups of the motifs, the removable pin and the “studio” in front of my chevalet where the following dramatic presentation was filmed. This was a ton of fun and it was unbelievably easy to do. It only took a couple of hours including editing in Movie Maker and it’s my first try. You just gotta love the technology we have to play with these days.

edit: The link works now

http://youtu.be/Prvb7QpOUbU

Thanks for looking,

Paul
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-10-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Removed Picture linked to Another Forum
    Paul M If God had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have given us fiberglass trees.

Video doesn't work, but very nicely done boxes!

The video still isn't working. Could you just type out the address for the youtube video without the "dot com" after it so we can search for it?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I believe I found the video to which the OP was referring, but for some reason I can't get a link to it to work. I went to the Youtube web page and searched for "Paul Miller Marquetry". I selected the video "Friendship marquetry first coat". I then clicked on "29 videos" next to the name of Paul Miller. All of his videos are then displayed for selection and viewing. The one to which he referred is the first one, "Locked Out".
    Last edited by Art Mann; 09-06-2013 at 4:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I found this on Youtube, which I think is what he was tring to link to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X****LjyH9g
    Reports that it does not exist.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cool video. Stopped motion is a lot of work. Congratulations, Paul.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The link is fixed. I actually had to re submit to YouTube and get a new code.
    http://youtu.be/Prvb7QpOUbU
    Paul M If God had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have given us fiberglass trees.

Actually Mike it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. One warning though, there are 133 frames in the animation. The pieces were set up on the floor. The camera was on a tripod so that for each frame I did the equivalent of a squat. Anybody my age who does 133 squats in an hour needs his head examined. My legs are killing me today.

Very entertaining. Nice woodworking too!
    Gary

Those are really lovely!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...