Thread: Hinge Mortise Jig - Need Recommendation

Hinge Mortise Jig - Need Recommendation

Any pros or renovators out there have a strong recommendation for a particular brand of hinge mortise jig? I mainly use the 4" hinges with a radius edge that come standard on most pre-hung passage doors these days. When I renovate houses we typically change all of the doors. I would like to make the process of replacing doors quicker and easier. Any thoughts? I'm not really interested in making my own plywood templates for each situation. I would like something that is accurate and will move from jamb to door without shifting or moving around on me. I threw out all of my old copies of Fine Homebuilding a couple months ago in the great house purge of '13 so no help there.thanks,Charlie

I've used both below, the Bosch is better, sturdy, easy to adjust, there are a couple different kits you can get.

Bosch

Porter-Cable
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I like the Templacos.
    One for each job.
    easy to modify.
    351.gif

We have the PC at work, gets little use in the shop, easier and far more accurate to make solid MDf templates in the shop on multiples. I totally get not wanting to make templates in the field, could eat up a lot of time matching subtle differences in an old house. We got the PC because it does 4 hinges, and occasionally we hang a monster door with more than 3, my buddy uses the Bosch and IIR its a bit easier/quicker to adjust and set up.

I've used the Porter Cable before at a previous job and didn't mind using it. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Mike, I've never used the Templaco but have heard good things about them. My main concern is transferring from the pre-routed door to a new jamb. Is that easy / Charlie-proof with the Templaco?

I have an old Stanley that I bought about 40 years ago. Used to hang all the doors in a new house, but after prehung doors became common and reasonable, just used them instead of hanging all the doors myself. Used 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 round corner butts. The jig has a row of holes so you can pick the size. The Stanley came with 3 templates, and 2 bars that go between, along with a stop for the top so you could just drive in the spring loaded nails in each template to the door and the jamb in turn. I kept a router with a 1/2" bit and a collar installed that I carried with the jig to make the cuts. Also had a power planer to plane the edge of the exterior doors to fit. The old jambs were made at the same opening as the door so they had to be planed to fit.