Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about ordering Dylos Meter

Questions about ordering Dylos Meter

Hi guys. Went to order the Dylos 1100 pro meter (goes down to 1/2 micron) and saw they offer a "computer interface" for another $30. When I called to ask, they said that its not something I can add-on later. So I have to decide now.

The interface lets you store the data on your computer. So you can store a ton more. Normally, Id just buy it from the mfgr, spend the extra $50 ($20 shipping) and have the capability "just in case". But today, Id rather not spend the extra if I dont need it. (tough $ month.)

Two questions:
    1. Do any of you use your Dylos connected to your pc? Im guessing I dont need that to measure fine dust in the shop. What do you know?
    2. Do you recall who you bought it from? Amazon offers free shipping but its from Sylvane,a company Im not familiar with. Sylvane only sells the unit without a computer interface.

Slowly but surely getting smart on all this.
    Thanks,
    Fred

I had the same concerns when I made my purchase. Didn't buy the PC compatible and I don't miss it. For my basement shop I use the meter to show me what is happening NOW. If my counts go up I check out what I am doing and adjust my guard or make sure that the blast gate is open. Perhaps the machine that I am using needs better hooding or pick up. Perhaps my JDS air filter or cyclone filter needs changing I have never experienced a need to do a historical analysis or have a database. I am a hobbyist with lung issues but the meter alone works for me. I have the model that goes down to 1/2 micron.

I bought mine from Dylos as part of a Creek buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Do any of you use your Dylos connected to your pc?
    Fred
    I originally bought the Dylos with the interface for work. It does record data but I quickly decided I learned what I needed by watching it in real time. For my home shop, I'm with Paul, all you need is what is happening to the dust as you work.

Paul

I purchased a Dylos with the PC interface and IMHO, it is worth the extra 10% to get the version capable of logging your results. The analog "vu meter" or even numerical data are not useful without the added advantage of time trend data -- the shippng is not really part of the equation since it would be essentially the same for ether model. I don't use mine continuously, but when I want to log the air concentrations (e.g., to look at the effectivenes of my cyclone), it is essential to have the PC interface version. Just my 2 cents.

I use mine in real time. I do not have a need for historical data, but I can understand why some would.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

What is the accuracy range of these meters? I was unable to find any technical data on their website.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Hi Fred, I purchased the same Dylos meter during a Sawmill Creek buy, and I didn't purchase the interface option.

I wish I had, however it's too late now............Rod.

Bought mine with the interface. I haven't used it once (the interface, I love the meter).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

@James Conrad. It will measure particulate matter down to 1/2 micron. I dont know more than that. But if you are interested, there is a phone number on their website. The man seemed willing to answer or find an answer for any question I asked.

Fred

Honestly, I can't imagine what I'd use the interface for. You'll find that when you're not in the shop to see the meter, the dust settles out. The instant you walk into your shop, if you have a dirty shop, the meter spikes and stays that way. The USB option is about as useful to the average woodworker as a weather station that records the temperature every minute. Maybe interesting data if you're into that sort of thing, but most of us are just interested in, "I'm heading outside right now....do I need long sleeves or a jacket?".

I have the unit w/ PC interface but have not found need to use it.

Be aware that the PC interface privided is a DB-9 serial port. Therefore you need either a serial port on your computer or a HSB-to-serial adapter. Serial ports aren't common on computers any more.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

A particle meter is the most effective tool you can purchase for measuring the effectiveness of your dust collection system! (It would be the first item I would buy when setting up a dust collection system.)

I have the unit without the PC interface and love it. I am mostly interested in what the air quality is while I am in the shop working. Air quality in the past when I was not in the shop is not interesting to me.

I normally set it to monitor mode where it takes an air sample once per hour. I switch it over to continuous mode when I am in the shop doing anything dusty.

I saved some money buying the standard model, not the 0.5u. It still gives me an indication of when the air has a lot of suspended dust.

A useful feature would be to turn on the overhead dust collector when the readings go above a certain threshold.

Steve

I use mine all the time to see when it is safe to take off my dust mask after drum sanding / using the table saw / etc. One thing I learned from it, is how effective my Jet overhead air cleaner is. And, also, despite a 5HP cyclone, how the drum sander puts huge amounts of particles into the air.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan,

You could try donning a respirator and running the sander without DC to tell just how much it's helping you. I suspect quite a bit.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!