Thread: Laser Engraving Rates

Laser Engraving Rates

Its been awhile since I posted but heres my question. What's the average rate for Laser Engraving. Customers will provide material . I am just curious on an average.
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 flexx 60W CO2 Laser/30W Fiber Laser
    EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Castaneda View Post
    Its been awhile since I posted but heres my question. What's the average rate for Laser Engraving. Customers will provide material . I am just curious on an average.
    The questions makes no sense. A Trotec will engrave an image in half of the time of an Epilog/ ULS system, but I'm not going to charge half of the price because I'm faster than the guy down the street (in fact, I'd probably charge more because I can get your project done in a rush).

You charge what the market will bear in your area. For some, that comes out to $50-60/hr, for others it's closer to $150-200/hr. If you price by the project rather than time, I've seen rates as high as $4-500/hr when all was said and done.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Its a little early for me here on the west coast. But you answered my question!
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 flexx 60W CO2 Laser/30W Fiber Laser
    EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

For single or small numbers of parts, if the customer brings the items in the price usually goes up because of the extra work involved compared to a part that I stock, have art work layouts set up for and laser settings for.

If it is something very simple such as putting a name and or date on one area of an item I will charge $15. If they have two items that are identical but they want different names engraved on them I charge $15 for the first and $10 for the second. If it is two identical parts with identical engraving I may go down to $10 each.

For single items done on the yag that in some cases breaks down to around $200 an hour. Using the same pricing on single items it may break down to only $60 per item. When I am doing larger numbers of items the prices go way down per item and may only be a buck or two each with the set up fees spread out over all of them.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

$25.00 setup, & 1.20 per sq. inch for wood,glass,etc.. Cermark on stainless is $3.50 per sq inch w/5 sq inch minimum for non commercial, and 10sq. inches for commercial.. I don't do wholesale..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

An hourly rate that covers your time at what you think it is worth plus something to compensate for the wear and tear on your machine, which will need replacement parts in time is helpful as you start out. Eventually you will become more aware of what others are charging and find that you may be short changing yourself. I will do some wholesale work for sign shops at te low end of the range Dan mentioned, but for personalizing one-off jobs for individuals the high end.

You don't want to pay yourself minimum wage, you have invested in expensive equipment and in a lot of time to learn a skill that others don't have so make it pay. I recently engraved the glass top on a humidor and the customer let it slip that she had been quoted $60 elsewhere.
    My price was still $75 and she paid it willingly.Took about 15 minutes, that's about $300/hour.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    My price was still $75 and she paid it willingly.Took about 15 minutes, that's about $300/hour.
    Does that 15 minutes include the time spent with the customer from the moment they contacted you to the time they walked out with their item, time to lay out the design, time to do the paperwork/receipt, etc.? When people start including all of the little details that are easy to forget about, they realize their hourly rate isn't nearly as high as they think it is. I'm guilty of it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Pontianak, West Borneo. Cimahi, West Java-Indonesia
    Over here in indonesia, i charge by the minute. At about 80cents per minute. That is the assumed laser running time. What i do is to get the length of the path i am cutting, then divide by a known speed for my laser. Eg 1m/min for 3mm acrylics, 50cm for 4mm plywood, etc.

I do for interior contractors, so i cant give different rate at different times.

Each project usually runs into the hundreds or even thousands of usd so it is pretty good for me.

i charge setup fee for small jobs. But it is pretty rare.

We do both custom pieces and engrave pre-manufactured product (i.e JDS) and resale at wholesale. We really try to stay away from the "one offs" but we have a $25.00 setup fee which we will wave if you order a minimum # of units. The absolute minimum that we will charge is $1.00 per minute but in most cases find that our machine makes us around 2 - 6 dollars per minute.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.