Thread: performax 16-32 plus vs grizzly g0458

performax 16-32 plus vs grizzly g0458

After so much research on the topic, I finally have the opportunity to purchase a drum sander. I have the chance to buy either the Grizzly G048 for $450 or the Performax 16-32 plus for $675. The 16-32 seems to be the one to go with, but am looking for any final words of wisdom and experience. I am planning to build kitchen cabinets for our home - not getting into any professional work. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The primary difference seems to be that drum moves on the Performax 16-32, the table moves on the Grizzly (I think the model is G 0458?). If you wanted infeed/outfeed tables, that'd be easier for the Performax I'd think due to the table not moving. OTOH the drum may be more rigid on the Grizzly.

It looks like they both operate in the same way, that being a wide belt that moves the wood under a stationary drum. From that perspective it seems like a wash to me. I would also look at things like the availability of parts and service, and the consumables like sanding belts. Maybe try to find product reviews which I would think would be much more plentiful for the Performax.

X

I have the G0458. I got it used off of Craigs list for $450 about 4 years ago. I think the drum is much more ridgid than the Performax. I saw a Jet/Performax at a tool show ome time back and the drum was bounding around alot. The platen and belt tracking of the Grizzly is very easy to adjust. The paper is easy to change out(I hear complaints about the clips on the Jet/Performax. I replaced the bearings to the drum last year. I ended up replacing the motor with a 2hp motor(stock is 1.5hp) this year. The stock motor worked fine when I got it but over the years started to run very hot and started popping breakers frequently. I always thought it was underpowered with a 1.5 hp to run both the feed and the drum. I wanted to run it on 220V anyway. There are a few of the bushings that the manual says need to be oiled daily that are not very easy to get to. I have heard complaints about the Jet/Performax and Delta so I don't think there is a clear winner. I am still happy with my purchase since it was used. I would probably think again if I were buying new but the other options aren't that appealing to me either. I do use it more than I ever thought I would.

I also have a Grizzly G0458. My only real complaint is that you can't do outfeed tables with it. If I had the money I would have gone with a much more expensive (~$2K) jet that has two motors and a moving drum rather than a moving table. I've had the sander for two years and use it almost on a daily basis. When I first got it I popped a lot of breakers. Primary reason I was running the drive speed too slow. When I speeded it up to the top speed I stopped popping breakers. It sounds counter intuitive, but apparently at the higher speed the drum spends less time in a single spot.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John, what did you decide to do? Was thinking of the Grizzly machine myself.