Thread: Wood for an inlet tool case...question from SF, california

Wood for an inlet tool case...question from SF, california

Dear Creekers,

I was assembling an Ikea dresser yesterday, when I tool a look at the "Made in China" plastic toolcase that I've been lugging in my car since college.

I'd like to make a wood tool case to replace it.
    Ideally, I'd like to inlet the wood to create a slot for the tool, like old french gun cases.
    However, I'm not sure about what woods would be suitable.

I'm hoping for something light, stable, easily carved/machined.
    I'd like it to be relatively easy to get around the San Francisco Bay Area.
    It'd also be great if it doesn't cause corroding on the tools.

Currently, I'm thinking of basswood or Port Orford Cedar.
    Any suggestions?

Mahogany or Cherry would be not likely in my budget.

-Matt

ps. If nothing works out, I may just use foam.

Matt, one option to make a tray with custom pockets for your wooden box could be papier mache. Once dry it's pretty durable and can be covered with spray-on flocking or painted. In order to get a good smooth surface for painting I believe it can be sanded or even Bondoed, if necessary.

I used (am using) basswood to try to make a a case for the tools I need to run my CNC will using my CNC mill.

Measuring the tools and drawing them up in 3D was an interesting challenge.

Fastcap sells foam for this purpose -- http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Kaizen-Foam-p13435.htm

I think the camera world uses this approach too. Google "camera case foam" or the like.

If you really want to go the wood router, I would consider using plywood or maybe LDF for the insert with the cut outs and then build a case to go around it. Other materials such as foam or paper would be lighter. Foam would be easier to modify if/when your tools change.

Something like this?

204216d.jpg

Seriously though, there is a lot you can do with straps, clasps, etc. once you decide what tools you want in there and how you want to arrange them.
    Last edited by Rob Feldner; 09-14-2013 at 8:58 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking into the Kaizen Foam. I'd never even considered Paper Mache.

Regarding the tool case, I'm thinking of just replacing the cheap, made in China thing that I got years ago.
    The screwdriver stripped even on putting together an ikea dresser.
    If I could change out the tools, I'd probably do that...as it's actually a pretty good layout.

Regarding the Seaton chest--maybe later.
    I'm looking for something much more compact and mobile, as I'm living in an apartment...who knows when I must move?
    I have something in mind with rare earth magnets--I'll post it in the Neander forum when I'm done.