Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LV Cabinet Makers Trim Plane vs. LN Chisel Plane

A while back I had a Sargent rabbeting block plane that broke (like they all do) and I initially thought to throw it away, but it used it once on a lark to clean off glue and scrob out the corner of a stopped rabbet. I eventually gave it away to someone who wanted the blade and adjuster parts. I missed that plane, so I made a new one out of some Sapele scrap, a $3 Buck Bros. replacement blade from Home Depot, and an old brass door knob for a handle. It's a useful plane, but given how easy they are to cobble together and the limited applications in which they can be used, I understand how they wouldn't be big sellers in the retail market.

Blog Entries
    Karl,

Thanks for the comparison and the write up.

This will certainly be a help to anyone pondering the purchase of one of these.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use a chisel. Chisel planes are not on my list of must haves by any measure. If I was given one...

I used a boxwood chisel plane I made when planing the sides of harpsichord keys. The regular type chariot plane would plane up to a short distance to the head of a key. The chisel plane would do the rest of the way. Needless to say,if a chisel plane is not adjusted just right,it will dive like a submarine,or slip up out of the cut. My plane was not very sophisticated. Another tool I left at the shop. I must go there and do a roundup some day. They were supposed to replace my tools,but never did.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Patrick Leach said that it was originally marketed to cabinetmakers and piano makers. I can understand piano makers wants maybe a little better, because the inside of a piano needs to look better, especially if it's intended to be displayed, than does most inside cabinet work.

I almost bought one when I first started because I had a tendency toward the rare, unique and expensive. And it seemed like it would be the ideal tool for cleaning up a glue line. Thinking back on it, I can now envision that it might lift hard drops of glue and pull wood up with them.
    I think the #97 has use for cabinet and piano makers because of it's ability to be used in tight spaces and get close to corners, as the Stanley catalog mentions. I'd hazard a guess that only piano makers and well trained musicians would know what the appearance of the guts of a Steinway would be.

I usually use a small cranked neck chisel for clean up of glue. Since glue abuses the hell out of an edged tool it is a good idea to pare it off when it has dried firm but not hard. Never had it pull up wood that way.

I have a LN chisel plane (small one), mainly because for a number of years, for every gift giving holiday, my wife would go into my shop, look over the LN tools she could recognize and when she saw what I didn't have, that is what I would get. Far better than shirts, shoes and similar stuff like that I would not wear! For this past Father's Day, since the last time we were at a flea market together I was looking for a 3/4" dado plane, she came up with a virtually unused Stanley #39 in that size (I did not dare say I was looking for a woodie).

As to the chisel plane, it is a tool I rarely use, as my previous methods still serve me well. I have better control with a wrestling with a paring chisel, but the LN remains in the cabinet just in case! I did follow a suggestion in this thread to put a convex bevel on the blade and I will try that out for the next trimming task.

I suppose this is a good time to mention that though I have many, many tools (as most here probably do), the ones I use all the time do not number very high - same #7 jointer, same #3 smoother, same block planes (LN 102 and Stanley 65), same chisels, same saws. Funny thing is, most are also vintage.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.