Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LV Cabinet Makers Trim Plane vs. LN Chisel Plane

LV Cabinet Makers Trim Plane vs. LN Chisel Plane

Looking to pick up the LV version, especially w/the $20 savings until the 14th, free shipping, etc. Most of my planes are LV, and are exceptional. The LN version is of course, bronze and of tremendous build quality as well. I'm sure in function, they are identical if not close. Price - $31 less for the LV, and free shipping.
    As this is a new plane for LV, probably only Derek Cohen has used it in the real world. So, thoughts on the LN by anyone who has used one?
    Maurice

I wouldn't be too quick to assume the Lie-Nielsen version is automatically better.

Taking a look at the two, the knob on the LN is more upright and possibly less comfortable than the Veritas knob that is cantered to fit in your palm.

The other aspect is that the Veritas has two set screws on either side which help with aligning the blade. They also act as a reference point when removing the blade for honing to ensure the blade goes back exactly where it was before. I don't 'think' the LN has this feature.

Another aspect to consider is that the Veritas blade is a wider than the body by the breath of ball's hair which allows you to ensure a full width cut but more importantly it allows you to set the blade flush with one side if using the plane against a shoulder of sorts (like trimming a rebate).

I must admit I don't know if the LN version has this ability or not but it sure looks beautiful.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Sorry Maurice, can't help on this one. It did not come my way for testing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the LN version that I purchased many years ago as LV did not have a similar one. I am thinking about buying the LV version and selling the LN. As usual, I think the LV version is better engineered. Of all my planes I only have several LN where LV version was not available. Not that LN is not great, it is that LV is better engineered and to me ends up giving me a better user experience.

I am sure LN is also a great company, but other than couple planes and chisels I have not dealt with them much. I bought many things from Lee Valley over the years and they are my favorite place to shop as I have never seen better customer service anywhere else, going beyond woodworking. I would readily pay more to buy from Lee Valley instead of someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Looking to pick up the LV version, especially w/the $20 savings until the 14th, free shipping, etc. Most of my planes are LV, and are exceptional. The LN version is of course, bronze and of tremendous build quality as well. I'm sure in function, they are identical if not close. Price - $31 less for the LV, and free shipping.
    As this is a new plane for LV, probably only Derek Cohen has used it in the real world. So, thoughts on the LN by anyone who has used one?

Blog Entries
    The big difference seems to be the blade. The LV version has a tang in the body and the LN is a straight sided blade that beds on the sides of the plane. Didn't look close enough or do any research to see if the bed angles are any different.

It is a nice looking tool, but just how much work will it be called into action to do?

The fronts of my shoulder planes are removable to make chisel planes. That function has only been tried a couple of times and it seems other methods are quicker.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I personally see no use in my shop for a chisel plane. Kind of an odd tool if you ask me. I would def find more use in a different tool for that kind of $. The chisel plane seems like a tool for the woodworker who has it all.

As for selling off the LN version to pick up the LV version, crazy. While I do agree that some of LV tools are better engineered how much better can a chisel plane really be. I personally like LN tools 9 out of 10 times, well maybe 8 times. There are certainly LV tools that I like better such as the LA jack and skew block plane but for the most part I really think LN makes the best production high end tools. Obviously this is all personal opinion, I also am slightly biased due to the area I call home.

Am I the only who is reminded of this when these "LN or LV" questions/discussions come up?

Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Couldn't guess which is better, but the lack of vintage examples of the type and the fact that it took this long for lv to come out with one would suggest there's no great need for such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Couldn't guess which is better, but the lack of vintage examples of the type and the fact that it took this long for lv to come out with one would suggest there's no great need for such a thing.
    You mean apart from the Stanley #97?

Given the opportunity, what would you have suggested to Veritas to bring to market?

The Stanley 97 is pretty scarce, which is why I made the comment. I'd love for lv to make carving tools, but that's a whole different ball game.

I'm always having a hard time figuring out exactly where this tool is aimed for - 99% of the time it seems working into a corner I can just do the clean up work before the assembly is made, or it's not going to show, so being perfect doesn't matter. Cleaning up glue and trimming dowels is something I find a chisel plenty suited for. Inlay I generally do in un-planable materials, but when it's wood, I usually leave it just a breath shallow and lower the surface to it. (Which is probably the wrong way to do it) Maybe this is one of those tools I just don't find the versatility in since I don't have it in hand. Perhaps if I did different work.

About the only thing I've come across where I think "hey, that would be perfect" is trimming solid edging on plywood - which might explain why vintage examples are less common, I suppose. I've never found a great way to do that, I think that maybe the ability to set the blade perfectly coplanar with the sole, and not have the sole ahead of the blade in the way might make it perfect for that last pass without marring the surface ply. I just end up using a fine set plane, and planing just the slightest bevel (usually by setting the blade lateral adjust so it only cuts on one side) - when I see that first hair of the ply coming up with the plane shavings, I know I'm good.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 09-13-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I'm always having a hard time figuring out exactly where this tool is aimed for
    I was watching a video where Roy Underhill makes his bench hooks and he uses the LN chisel plane to trim the faces of the bench hook.

Probably could be done with a bullnose or shoulder plane with the tow removed.

Good points all around! Derek, thanks for clarifying your involvement with it (or, lack there of!).
    My only experience with LN tools has been limited to trying some out at an event, and ownership of a set of their chisels. Those chisels are so nicely balanced and shaped, that I want to always go to them (don't worry...I use others for the rough stuff).
    Is the chisel plane a necessity? Certainly not. Neither is a turbo charged engine, but once you drive one (in the right car), it's kinda nice to have. I'm leaning towards it, but have not pulled the trigger yet.
    Maurice

I have the Lie Nielsen smaller chisel plane and use it for flush trimming square pegs and similar. Its a nice tool . It needs to be extremely sharp and you need a wrist action to make it work well..

I would probably buy the Lee Valley version if I where doing it again because it looks better engineered.. I love the look of Lie Nielsen.. and the function of Lee Valley.. ( Lie Nielsen work awesome too ) ..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Am I the only who is reminded of this when these "LN or LV" questions/discussions come up?

That's a good one. Me too.
    Take the meanest, rustiest plane you have. Clean it, grind and
    sharpen the blade like a razor, and then set it up. Now, with the
    plane set very fine, run it over a scrap of oak. Hear the sound it
    makes, and feel the perfect finish. What a thrill! --John Brown