Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personalized hearing protection??

Personalized hearing protection??

I'm thinking about getting the audiologist to make me some ear plugs that fit my ear canals. Anyone done and care to comment on how effective they are as compared to the commercial generic, fit-alls you buy? They aren't cheap, but if they work better, then, I'm willing to pay the price. Thanks Lewis

While I was a radio operator in the military I had a pair of custom fit ear plugs made that I could connect to my radios. They did a great job as hearing protection but they became very uncomfortable after just an hour.

The most comfortable and effective ear plugs I've ever used are the yellow foamies.

I've tried lots of different one-size-fits-all versions over the years. I also tried the custom-molded kind twice. The custom-molded kind were pricey (maybe $60?), but didn't seem to work better than the better one-size-fits-all. They eventually fall apart -- maybe in a year. Right now, the best one-size-fits-all for me looks like these -- http://www.emedco.com/e-a-r-ultrafit...FS9dQgodmSYA4A Those triple flanges seem to be the design key. I used to have to buy them by mail, but a couple years ago Home Depot started carrying them. They're about three bucks. They last perhaps four months of daily use.

I have a set of custom-poured/fitted ear plugs used for shooting protection. They are over 10 years old and good as new. They provide far more protection than the foamies. I just wash them in soapy water every few months. They fit so well I don't even realize when they are in my ears. DO IT! Philip
    Philip

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. I wore molded custom earpieces made for concert musicians for about a decade while doing an extensive amount of flying.

My present hearing aids will testify to them not providing sufficient protection.

If you're talking about woodworking use, buy the highest dB protection over the ear earmuffs you can. Don't win awards for comfort, but it's all about efficacy.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 09-14-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Foamies work well, well enough that the additional expense of custom fitted is not warranted. Best protection, however, is combining in-the-ear protection with over-the-ear protection. This comes from one is constantly reminded by SWMBO that I need to wear my hearing aids so she won't have to repeat herself.

Clint

Lewis - If custom-molded is what you'd like to try, no need to go to a audiologist, IMO. I made a couple of pairs of these a few months ago for skeet shooting, and work in the shop and on the tractor:
    http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom.../dp/B002XULPSQ

As you probably know, the most noise suppression will be from a good pair of over-ear muff-style protectors, so there are trade offs. But these work well, and are a bit more effective (for me) than the generic foam single use type.

David

Last edited by David C. Roseman; 09-14-2013 at 9:37 AM.

I got a pair of custom made plugs but found them to be very uncomfortable. I also don't like most of the in-the-ear plugs and I use the most highly rated ear muffs I can find. Not chic, but functional. I purchased them at a gun store.

Quote Originally Posted by George Werner View Post
    While I was a radio operator in the military I had a pair of custom fit ear plugs made that I could connect to my radios. They did a great job as hearing protection but they became very uncomfortable after just an hour.
    You know, I have a similar issue. The foamies (regardless of brand) get uncomfortable after a while. Possibly, it is just me; had chronic ear problems as a child including drainage tubes surgically installed for several years. Maybe just that I'm overly sensitive in that area.

Anyhow, my brother has these Peltor tactical earmuffs that he uses for his LE training...

p6067767.jpg

I tried them out and they were really nice! I was surprised how clear all the normal sounds were, yet they stopped gunshots no problem. Going to buy a pair this fall.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    I am thinking of getting the Etymotic custom fit earplugs (I have no affiliation). The custom fit in-ear monitors offer far greater comfort than the foam plugs for me. At concerts, shows, rehearsals, etc... I currently use a high db plugs. I find them very tiring after an hour and they induce mild nausea. I have small ear canals. I hope that custom fit would offer more comfort.

I the shop, I use over the ear ear muffs.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I like the Etymotic earphones quite a bit, though don't have the custom fitting ones.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I’m a very light sleeper, I would like to find something comfortable that I could wear all night. I have tried several different styles of plugs and they all irritate my ears after a few hours.

I bought a pair of 3M™ Peltor™ X5A earmuffs a few months ago when I bought my cnc router. They are the best shop ear protection I have ever found. I am very impressed with their 31db Noise Reduction Rating.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have cochlear implant on my left ear and a hearing aid on my right ear. My hearing aid uses a custom ear mold. The HA is attached to the mold via tubing and it hangs over my right ear. The custom ear mold is bearable but not without issues for some people. They need to be cleaned regularly as they have been known to cause irriations, callouses and infections. If it were me, I would try a good pair of ear muffs first.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've ridden motorcycles for 43 years and worked in loud Industry surroundings for 34 and feel "Mighty Plugs" are worth a look, Good luck.
    Mac

I have small ear canals, and they're kind of sensitive. My sister, the audiologist, had me in to pour some custom earplugs once. They hurt to have in my ears more than the foamies. My opinion is to not spend extra money for customization.
    When I'm on the motorcycle I just go ahead and use the foamies. Cheap, disposable and plentiful. I also use them when shooting rifle because (for me) I end up clunking earmuffs against the stock and it's annoying. I don't shoot rifle a lot though.
    For Pistol and in the shop (and in the woods with a chainsaw...basically anywhere that wearing them won't clunk against something) I use earmuffs.