Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chainsaw sawmills

Ok, just read through this whole thread, and there is a lot of good info. I've live on a farm and have had a fair amount of timber cut from the creek. I've alway took it to someone else to saw or have them come out and I'm happy with that. The thing is I have trees in the 10-14" range that aren't going to make very good saw logs but I'm interested in maybe just slabbing/turning them into beams(would like to save up for a future timber frame project), but not 4/4 stuff. Would a chainsaw mill be worth it then even if you're counting your time? It's just hard to see that wood go up in smoke.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Jesse,
    IMO, stick with what has been working for you. You certainly can make beams with a chainsaw mill but they'll be more precise (especially the 90 degree corners), and much more quickly made with the bandsaw providers you have been using. You can get a lot of milling done for the cost of the CS mill attachment. I have milled for quite a few clients who started with a chainsaw mill. Extra wide cuts, difficult terrain, they are the go-to choice but milling beams from 10-14" logs probably takes less time that a single pass with the chainsaw mill - not counting setup time.