Thread: Magnetic Lock

Magnetic Lock

I am working on plans to build a mirror with a hidden compartment behind it. I'm having trouble coming up with a hidden locking mechanize though. I was thinking some sort of magnetic lock would be cool. Does anybody have any experience with this? I found these:http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&site=ROCKLER and wondering if any body has used these "tot-loks". If so how strong are they? They are made out of plastic so I'm worried that they may break with a little bit of force applied to them. Anybody have any experience with this or suggestions?

John,I installed one of these on my blade/ router bit cabinet about 8 years ago. It is robust enough to work in the shop environment. To date no one has been able to open it without the magnet. They are well built.
    John D / Woodie
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

I agree with John D in that they're pretty strong. However, IIRC, any magnet will open it.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Both of my daughters have used those for child safety below kitchen sink, on medicine cabinets, etc. with no problems. They are reasonably strong. However, they require a bit of clearance so that the magnet can swing the latch open. That is, they won't hold your secret compartment tightly shut.