Thread: Help With Compressor Decision and Drain Options

Help With Compressor Decision and Drain Options

My 30 gallon craftsman non-oiled died after about 15 years of infrequent use - mostly spraying off sawdust, nail guns, filling pool toys/tires, and for a couple years HVLP finishing (I just never really mastered that, but I'd like to try again). I kept it under pressure all the time because when I needed it, I needed it - didn't want to wait for it to pressure up. Anyway, I was pretty lax about draining it and it simply got to rusty inside for me to consider it safe. Although it served me well, I grew to hate it because of the noise - it was by a factor of 2 the most annoying, loud, probably dangerous tool I've owned. Anyway, I've been researching this forum and the net quite a bit and pending your advice have pretty much settled on an Industrial Air 30 gallon oiled belt drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Air...air+compressor

Edit: Amazon's specs are wrong on several accounts this is a better link to specs: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p3703.html

Almost unanimously positive reviews, and free shipping/no tax on Amazon fuel my thought process. Any thoughts on this compressor or other ideas?

Finally, the death of my Craftsman was my lack of attention to draining it - it was just such a PITA. It was, and will continue to be permanently mounted on a shelf roughly 5' high and all I could fit under it to catch the water was one of my wife's cookie sheets. Always a mess. I'm considering replacing the drain valve on my new compressor with brass pipe fittings terminating in a valve (will a simple ball valve work?) that I can easily open to drain the water accumulation into a bucket or something similar. Anyone done something like this that can offer advice?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
    Last edited by Dave Novak; 09-17-2013 at 2:05 AM.

Dave,

I did just that with my compressor. I connected pipe and a valve to the outlet to bring it out so I didn't have to reach under the tank to drain it. Made it much easier.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I replaced my drain valve with an elbow, piece of pipe, and a ball valve. The whole thing just drains onto my garage floor. Every couple of days when I'm in the area I give the valve lever a nudge with my toe so that it drains the tank. I close it with my foot also. End of drain issues.

One other thing, I've got another ball valve on the outlet side of the compressor. This is a positive stop to keep the compressor full without having it cycle due to air distribution slow leaks.
    Wood'N'Scout

+3 on the elbow/hose/ball valve. I empty mine into a ratty old bath towel which lives next to the compressor. BTW, you will laugh when you hear how much quieter you new oil compressor is.
    Last edited by david brum; 09-17-2013 at 8:51 AM.

Dave, another way to go is with an automatic drain kit. Prices vary wildly. Here's a cheap one from Harbor Freight that get's mixed reviews, but some seem to love it. http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...kit-68244.html
    No personal experience with it myself. I just open the drain cocks on my compressors manually after use. PITA to air down each day, but well worth it, IMO. If done daily, very little water collects here in No. VA.

David

You might consider using the valve they use on large trucks to bleed the air tank for the brakes. It has a lanyard which helps if the attachment point is hard to get to and closes when you release the lanyard.

Can't claim credit for the idea and don't remember where I read it, but it works. The valve cost about $10 five years ago.

I also put an elbow and a ball valve on my 80 gallon 2 stage compressor. One thing to consider- I put a coarse-threaded fitting on the end to allow me to attach a garden hose. This allows you to aim it wherever you want.

My compressor is right next to the door to my shop, so I just squat down, aim the hose out the door, and let her rip.

Granted, my 80 gallon compressor lets out a lot of moisture when I drain it....

If you hardly use your compressor, it might be worth it to look in to the automatic valve systems, as posted previously. I find that in periods when I'm not using my compressor, I forget to drain it.

Thanks for all the advice. Hearing no objections to the specific compressor I was considering, I pulled the trigger, should arrive Friday. In order to make access to the drain convenient, I'm thinking I'll need 18 - 24" of plumbing, then a ball valve, followed by some plastic tubing to get the water to a bucket on the floor. Hopefully if I don't remember to drain it at least weekly any water will accumulate in that plumbing instead of in the compressor tank.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    +3 on the elbow/hose/ball valve. I empty mine into a ratty old bath towel which lives next to the compressor. BTW, you will laugh when you hear how much quieter you new oil compressor is.
    +4 - I did the same thing with the elbow/pipe/ball valve. Works great - doesn't leak air - and it's easy to reach and operate.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I installed an ADV on my compressor 8 years ago and so far the drain water is still rust free. I just flip the switch on for a couple of cycles each time I use the compressor. I plumbed the drain water into a 5 gallon container.

Finally some air!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Was there any reason other than price that you did not go with this one: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p2041.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tax View Post
    Was there any reason other than price that you did not go with this one: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p2041.html
    I studied that one too, it also had great reviews on many different websites. The one I went with got the nod simply because it had a little bigger tank, and was $130 cheaper.

Thanks for the input, I am trying to decide which one to get also.